2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've never been a pro or worked in the woods professionally....you're a weekend warrior I'm told, on the forums you frequent. If you think a 2100 with a 16"-18" bar can kick anyone else's butt, then you've haven't worked around the right people with modern saws that can rev to 14,000rpm. Where the 2100 comes into it's own today is in timber over 3ft. My 2094 Jonsered and/or a Husky 394/395 will run cirlces around it in timber under 3ft. The Stihl 500i will run circles around the 2100 in less than 3ft scale......and other saws as well.

Kevin
Not sure why the personal attack on his character? Selling firewwod for money classifies as professional I think. I would like to see a saw that runs circles sround a 2100. I personally own a ported 390, stock 395 a 3120 a 500i. I still bring my 2101 to every tree job. None of my saws I mentioned will work circles around it. The difference in the 2100 the rpms dont drop as much as the higher rev saws. Where they have the absolute edge is weight. I almost said handling but the 2100 is actually a great handling saw, still today. I think if someone went side by side with a 395 and a 2100 and an actuall stoo watch falling and cutting. I think they might be suprised it would be close id bet. My 2101 will pull my 50inch Canon is my 3120 is down. And is easier to lift and handle. Yes its purpose was a muscle saw for big wood. The fact it shines today still, says something. If anyone wants to know my background ive done tree work sinve 1988 im 48 now. Cut many hazard trees fell many trees, runs crews today for county roads. Still do tree work on weekends and weeknights with a climber. My first actual saw that I owned myself was a 056 super with a 36inch bar. At age 17. I think many of us can bring value and experience from many angles. I just enjoy the company of like minded friends. Hate too argue, not into peeing contests. Hope we can all get along. But the personal tear downs are one reason I was absent awhile. Have a great day. Norm....

In all fairness to the fun that flows from Billy's keyboard- define Pro? If your sole income is selling firewood cut with a chainsaw- that is a profession and the chainsaw is a tool of that profession. But he left out the part where it was the early 1900's and he rode on the back of a Model T into the forest, 14.000 RPM had not been invented yet, let alone fuel injection! :laugh:
I picked up a 2100 CD couple of weeks back that was wearing an 18 inch 3/8th bar and chain- what a waste of time! :yes:
well, take 3 strokes off the rakers and put a big sprocket on it.. it's still ridiculous to have to lug that big a saw around for small wood, but it would cut!

You've never been a pro or worked in the woods professionally....you're a weekend warrior I'm told, on the forums you frequent. If you think a 2100 with a 16"-18" bar can kick anyone else's butt, then you've haven't worked around the right people with modern saws that can rev to 14,000rpm. Where the 2100 comes into it's own today is in timber over 3ft. My 2094 Jonsered and/or a Husky 394/395 will run cirlces around it in timber under 3ft. The Stihl 500i will run circles around the 2100 in less than 3ft scale......and other saws as well.

Kevin
My 394 is my fave big saw, little port job, it has a 36" 404 bar on it.. to be fair, the 394 and the 2100 are kinda in the same class of saw with the 288's not that far off.. Some people like the 288 a lot more, I like mine (heated handles) but it doesn't hold a candle in torque to the 394, it really does miss that displacement

I read with alittle tweeting a 288 Xp can run with a 2100.

I was asked if I wanted to complete at two local fairs in speed cutting. After learning I tweeted the 2100cd, remove the spikes, add a 16” bar, hogged out the gullet, set the rakers .050”+ and added a bigger rim, plugged the governor. In a 10” x 10” timber I did two slices down, two slices up, bored two holes without breaking out, one slice down, one slice up, that’s 8 cuts I did in 17.5 seconds. I never claim to be a pro logger but at the fairs I can blend in.

Back then we didn’t have the saw technology we have today. Yup the 2100 is no light weight but I learned to keep it in the wood cutting. No posing pictures for sports illustrated. Time is money.

I read with alittle tweeting a 288 Xp can run with a 2100.

I was asked if I wanted to complete at two local fairs in speed cutting. After learning I tweeted the 2100cd, remove the spikes, add a 16” bar, hogged out the gullet, set the rakers .050”+ and added a bigger rim, plugged the governor. In a 10” x 10” timber I did two slices down, two slices up, bored two holes without breaking out, one slice down, one slice up, that’s 8 cuts I did in 17.5 seconds. I never claim to be a pro logger but at the fairs I can blend in.

Back then we didn’t have the saw technology we have today. Yup the 2100 is no light weight but I learned to keep it in the wood cutting. No posing pictures for sports illustrated. Time is money.
I think you can get a 288 tweaked to run with a stock 2100, but not with a similarly modified one.. I modified an L65 that keeps up to a stock 288, and my 61 (piped) nearly keeps up with a mildly ported 394, that's with a 34" bar buried in fir.. balance of the 61 with a 34" bar is a wee bit off though

There’s no replacement for displacement once we get into longer bars in big wood. But the 2100 with a shorter bar was a beast. My next new saw is a Husqvarna 266se/16” bar. I pretty much stayed with the 2100cd, 2101xp, 266se, 240sg. I started using the 266 more and more for smaller wood.

My dealer had a 288 saw professionally ported, they polished the crankcase too. I got to break it in the woods. It ran good. All of the loggers ran this 288 at the fair, as it got hotter the faster it cut. I was the last to cut, knowing how it cut I took the win.

the 056 is probably my most hated Stihl!.. they run nice, but are such a pain to work on, and I don't like the ergonomics at all
I dont miss it. Back then it was a cats meiw. But if I woulda found a 2100 then things woulda been different:) it was a cinder block with a nar and chain:) torque and good chain speed. I know they are a worthy saw today, and have a following, just not my thing today.

288s Ive owned 4 of them. Even in tofays standards and world, extremly worthy saw. I have a ported 390 today. Sold my 288s a couple years ago due to finances. My 390 has less vibration and was a newer saw so faced with that I kept the 390. But I would still be running my 288s today.

I ate rail road spikes and **** rail road track just for a snack. Lol

What makes a logger a professional? I gots to know?

Let’s get this right is it faller or feller? I believe it’s a tree feller?

Or does a faller fell trees? :innocent:

Gotcha free hand is all ive done too. Mostly short runs
Grab an Alaskan mill from one of your buddies and give it a go before you take the dive, you're in redwood country and could make some nice slabs! Hardwoods take a lot of time, patience, a sharp chain, and determination, but the results can be very rewarding..IMG_20210403_180826.jpgIMG_20210403_180606.jpgIMG_20210405_135445.jpg168237539_287425539582086_6747701108239718685_n.jpg

Grab an Alaskan mill from one of your buddies and give it a go before you take the dive, you're in redwood country and could make some nice slabs! Hardwoods take a lot of time, patience, a sharp chain, and determination, but the results can be very rewarding..
well, that's something that is worn out of me by about the end of morning coffee!..

well, that's something that is worn out of me by about the end of morning coffee!..
These slabs are going to be a kitchen counter, the tree branch that I made them out of is 30' off of the back of the house and I had no way to move it, so I cut it where it fell. I cut them at 13', plenty long enough to work with.they' e seasoned for 16 months, so should be ready by winter to finish.

I just purchased a 36” bar with a milling chain, I need a Alaskan saw mill next. I have more big ash, maple and hickory trees to take down.

Making lemonade outta lemons, we lost a lot of big oaks in March of 2020.
For us it was January 4th 2020.. we had unprecedented winds here, several different winds met up right at our place, there were some twisters that formed and everything.. 6 fir trees with a 30+" DBH were uprooted... it happened twice in a day, from essentially windstill to 70mph gusts in a matter of a half a minute
20200104_100901.jpg

My poor fence and irrigation line got squashed real good
20200104_100659.jpg

That half-culvert was up against the fence as a feed trough, wind just picked it up and tossed it.. Steer looks confused about this
20200104_100234.jpg

Back