2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking muscle saw not really about modern comfort but POWER! I've only gotten to run a 2100 once and it was impressive.
For muscle I prefer the Homelite Super 1050A with a 36" bar and .404 chain. No anti-vibe , no decomp, no chain brake , no plastic, and no excuses. Its 100cc of reed saw madness.

Not sure why the personal attack on his character? Selling firewwod for money classifies as professional I think. I would like to see a saw that runs circles sround a 2100. I personally own a ported 390, stock 395 a 3120 a 500i. I still bring my 2101 to every tree job. None of my saws I mentioned will work circles around it. The difference in the 2100 the rpms dont drop as much as the higher rev saws. Where they have the absolute edge is weight. I almost said handling but the 2100 is actually a great handling saw, still today. I think if someone went side by side with a 395 and a 2100 and an actuall stoo watch falling and cutting. I think they might be suprised it would be close id bet. My 2101 will pull my 50inch Canon is my 3120 is down. And is easier to lift and handle. Yes its purpose was a muscle saw for big wood. The fact it shines today still, says something. If anyone wants to know my background ive done tree work sinve 1988 im 48 now. Cut many hazard trees fell many trees, runs crews today for county roads. Still do tree work on weekends and weeknights with a climber. My first actual saw that I owned myself was a 056 super with a 36inch bar. At age 17. I think many of us can bring value and experience from many angles. I just enjoy the company of like minded friends. Hate too argue, not into peeing contests. Hope we can all get along. But the personal tear downs are one reason I was absent awhile. Have a great day. Norm....
Wasn't meant to be a personal attack, but I hate BS of any kind. I had an exchange with him once about some big tree logs I cut and was moving around in a mostly dry river bed on a job I contracted. He offered that I go down in there with a lawn tractor like the one he just rebuilt. This is fantasy stuff....only a skidder could have moved those logs with any efficacy. No skidder on that job so I had to winch the logs around by a dead man. I asked around about him after and read some of his other posts.

No one loves the the 2100 more than I do. I had over a dozen of them in my professional life as a logger and still have two of them today. My point was; it's a heavy, single purpose saw for felling big timber and bucking bit scale timber. Anything less than 3ft and there are better, lighter saws for the purpose.....I gave examples. The 394 was a kissing cousin to the 2100. The 3120 and the 394 came out to replace the 2101 iteration. Scale was changing and getting smaller; saws were revving higher and people wanted lighter saws to work with in the woods.

I'm not gonna listen to someone boast how they put a 16-18' bar on a 2100 and ran everyone else outs the woods.

Kevin

Wasn't meant to be a personal attack, but I hate BS of any kind. I had an exchange with him once about some big tree logs I cut and was moving around in a mostly dry river bed on a job I contracted. He offered that I go down in there with a lawn tractor like the one he just rebuilt. This is fantasy stuff....only a skidder could have moved those logs with any efficacy. No skidder on that job so I had to winch the logs around by a dead man. I asked around about him after and read some of his other posts.

No one loves the the 2100 more than I do. I had over a dozen of them in my professional life as a logger and still have two of them today. My point was; it's a heavy, single purpose saw for felling big timber and bucking bit scale timber. Anything less than 3ft and there are better, lighter saws for the purpose.....I gave examples. The 394 was a kissing cousin to the 2100. The 3120 and the 394 came out to replace the 2101 iteration. Scale was changing and getting smaller; saws were revving higher and people wanted lighter saws to work with in the woods.

I'm not gonna listen to someone boast how they put a 16-18' bar on a 2100 and ran everyone else outs the woods.

Kevin
All good Amigo. And agreed on the smaller lighter saws and scale:) im running a 500i and a 390 the most of any anymore. Sorry about your differences Amigos.

For us it was January 4th 2020.. we had unprecedented winds here, several different winds met up right at our place, there were some twisters that formed and everything.. 6 fir trees with a 30+" DBH were uprooted... it happened twice in a day, from essentially windstill to 70mph gusts in a matter of a half a minute
View attachment 914782

My poor fence and irrigation line got squashed real good
View attachment 914783

That half-culvert was up against the fence as a feed trough, wind just picked it up and tossed it.. Steer looks confused about this
View attachment 914784
Nice cpuntry and steer

All good Amigo. And agreed on the smaller lighter saws and scale:) im running a 500i and a 390 the most of any anymore. Sorry about your differences Amigos.
It's all good. There's a certain segment of forum types that live all up their heads and imagination. Generally, I let all that fly and sort itself out. But not about the 2100 and using it professionally for what it was made to do. Probably as close to a perfect felling/bucking saw that was ever made in its time. But its time has passed on to lighter, higher revving saws.

When I first got my J'red 2094, I thought it was going to blow up! I had never owned a high revving big cc saw before.....lol.

Kevin

Here’s what I been building. I have a mini steel rock dump for it my $400 55 Willys, before and after pics, 538 gears with locker diffs. She’s mean like a wolverine.

Attachments

• 21A99016-2E48-48FF-9DDA-E110DBC05469.jpeg
    21A99016-2E48-48FF-9DDA-E110DBC05469.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 10
Besides my narrow frame cub cadet with its 1/3 cord cap trailer the Willys can haul more without disturbing the land,

I went looking for a snowblower and found the Willys with a 4 way plow for $400. This pic is orginal.

Attachments

• 89C551A2-127E-429F-8397-3F847EFE695D.jpeg
    89C551A2-127E-429F-8397-3F847EFE695D.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 8
The forestry ranger called me because I had the two 2100’s. The hurricane Gloria came through and took down a maple tree that was over 100+ yo. Monster tree with larger than 24” limbs. The trunk was massive. But there was three large vines on it. Not sure what they were, I waited for heavy rain to cut it up. They needed the road open. With 24” bars on the 2100’s I could just buck the trunk up. The truck was my firewood truck I built from a ‘76 c30 one ton 2wd to 4wd. There was no 30 series 4x4 till ‘77.. I don’t carry wood to the truck I put the truck off road to the wood, that’s professional.

Attachments

• C96D10E0-397B-4016-9379-6114FF3F0D18.jpeg
    C96D10E0-397B-4016-9379-6114FF3F0D18.jpeg
    819.8 KB · Views: 7
If you managed to buck up the "Monster" Maple with a 24"bar- it ain't that monster, unless you were having to noodle blocks off of the trunk to step the powerhead in- in which case it was perhaps not the most efficient way to use a 2100 to get the road open again.
What about "double barring" it, where you cut in from each side? I had to buck up a couple 32 inch digger pine limbs with my 562 after the 2101 tensioner blew up so I just cut in from each side.

What about "double barring" it, where you cut in from each side? I had to buck up a couple 32 inch digger pine limbs with my 562 after the 2101 tensioner blew up so I just cut in from each side.

Yep, 2 X say 22 inches of viable bar length in the cut with a 24"bar gives 44"and where I live- that sure aint no monster. :yes:

Yep, 2 X say 22 inches of viable bar length in the cut with a 24"bar gives 44"and where I live- that sure ain't no monster. :yes:
I know of a few trees by me that need a 42 if you want to do it in one pass, but most of them are long gone. A buddy who logged back in the 80's said he cut trees "where you'd have a 42 or 48 on the 2100 and your cuts still wouldn't meet in the middle". I've yet to see one that big that I can cut (legally) sadly.

I know of a few trees by me that need a 42 if you want to do it in one pass, but most of them are long gone. A buddy who logged back in the 80's said he cut trees "where you'd have a 42 or 48 on the 2100 and your cuts still wouldn't meet in the middle". I've yet to see one that big that I can cut (legally) sadly.
Because we do got em and we can cut em, is exactly why I picked up the 2100 a couple of few weeks back- to run at least a 42"on it to reach what a 36" from both sides cannot.
To my way of thinking- that is the kind of territory the 2100 excels in and was designed to do.

This is what's considered good sized in my neck of the woods. That guy is the logger I quoted a few posts back.
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 4.53.12 PM.png

And this is what some of the timber he was in back in the day looked like: The guy standing on the logs ran a 2100 for awhile, then he joined the army and the saw sat till I got it!

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 4.48.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 4.49.09 PM.png

Be nice to see..... but none of your attachments show anything at my end.

Saw #1 is a buddy's 2100, it was a backup saw for a Mich-Cal logger and the firewood it cut put presents under the Christmas tree according to him. #'s 2 and 3 are my brudda's 2101, straight from the loggers hands to his. #4 is my beauty, she's not lean but she's a mean wood cuttin machine. On my mill it made my brother's near-new 395 feel like it had the power of a 372.

Back