2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks men, good informative answers.

When i saw the pic of the guy cutting 3 at once i just had to ask.

That 2100 looks a different saw now from the original pic.

We only put the three logs together to try to give some of the larger saws a little more of a workout while we tried out each others saws. I can't speak for anyone who needs an 84" bar on their saw.

This is the type of thing I wanted a big saw for. I get firewood wherever I can ..... sometimes it looks like this. My 372 w/24" didn't complain once bucking this tree, but I felt it took too long. Though I do log some in the winter, I doubt my 2100 will see the woods much. Nothing we log around here is big enough to require it.

SugarMaple008.jpg

SugarMaple003-1.jpg

SugarMaple002-1.jpg

SugarMaple012.jpg

Last edited:
We only put the three logs together to try to give some of the larger saws a little more of a workout while we tried out each others saws. I can't speak for anyone who needs an 84" bar on their saw.

This is the type of thing I wanted a big saw for. I get firewood wherever I can ..... sometimes it looks like this. My 372 w/24" didn't complain once bucking this tree, but I felt it took too long. Though I do log some in the winter, I doubt my 2100 will see the woods much. Nothing we log around here is big enough to require it.

SugarMaple008.jpg

SugarMaple003-1.jpg

SugarMaple002-1.jpg

SugarMaple012.jpg

Good stuff, your wood is so much different to ours.
Nice little 372.
That log your cutting up, i would cut that into natural edge 2 inch slabs through all those limbs.
Bench and table tops are worth good money to the right buyer.
You can have that white stuff to your self.

Last edited:
Big Bars

203386d1318973893-zachary-035-jpg

Thats why I keep a few laying around. Duty calls, and its time to make a $ and Im off to war with some big rounds!

Last edited:
Auto oiler

I'll post it here before I go to the general chainsaw thread.

I have a 2101xp that will not auto oil. The thumb oiler works great. I've replaced both of the gears in the oiler as the originals were chowed. I've had the pick up tube out a few times. I didn't see any issues with that......any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Tom

Good to see you Jim! Ductape nice pic's. Ausneil it's nice to hear, and see different thing's from the other side of the world. little possum nice saw dude. Shaker tom I have never messed with mine but am guessing the oiler should be adjustable, and I would look for the adjuster, and check it. If you have messed with the oiler gear, and all is well then Im stumped. You arent loosing oil in to the fuel tank right? Reason I ask is there are two O rings on the oil plunger, and mine went out. First oil went in the gas, and then gas was going in the oil. Norm....

Good to see you Jim! Ductape nice pic's. Ausneil it's nice to hear, and see different thing's from the other side of the world. little possum nice saw dude. Shaker tom I have never messed with mine but am guessing the oiler should be adjustable, and I would look for the adjuster, and check it. If you have messed with the oiler gear, and all is well then Im stumped. You arent loosing oil in to the fuel tank right? Reason I ask is there are two O rings on the oil plunger, and mine went out. First oil went in the gas, and then gas was going in the oil. Norm....

Norm, Gas mix seems fine. It does not appear to have the condition you speak of. In terms of the adjuster, I don't recall seeing anythingthat was adjustable. I'll look again or if you can point me in the right spot.

Thanks for the help.

So norm, what was cut out of this log, I'm a timberman so the recovery is just as interesting as the log itself.

another question men,,,,, why do you guys put such long bars on these saws, they look great for sure but seems overkill to me. ( a nicely balanced bar and chain to go with a nice saw, just whats needed for work or play)

In my part of the world, this is why we used long bars.

BellCreek1977a.jpg

oaks003.jpg

This is one of Norm's pics.
100_0780.jpg

Great pics randy mac and yes well what can i say, Bars would be still too short for that job.
Not enough HP in that truck as well i susspect.
The guys working then would not of realised how lucky they were, but i am quiet sure just how hard those men worked to get those logs to a mill.

Now you men are going to make me find some of our big wood, lucky for me i was cutting old growth up until the government locked it all up.
Our big wood wasn't that big but being hardwood it presented different chalenges to the professional logfaller. Mainly saws never had enough power and getting chains perfect was always a battle. My favorout combination was a 3120 with a oregon 36inch bar, 8 tooth sprocket and oregon CJX skip tooth which was square filled.
Before the 3120 we used a 084 with stihl long bars and 27A oregon skip tooth semi chisel in 404 which was no comparrason to CJX.
later neil

Last edited:
is there a bar oil adjuster on the 2100?is it hidden somewhere? or am i just an idiot that aint seeing it ? this thing is shooting oil like i have never seen.

You have to remove the oil pump to adjust it.There are two screws on top of the pump.If you are running a tiny bar (under 28")the longer of the two screws on the top of the pump goes in the aft hole.

I'll post it here before I go to the general chainsaw thread.

I have a 2101xp that will not auto oil. The thumb oiler works great. I've replaced both of the gears in the oiler as the originals were chowed. I've had the pick up tube out a few times. I didn't see any issues with that......any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Tom

Apparently Kotex was leaking (sorry couldn't resist), but Greg's advice on a solution may work in reverse for you Tom

Apparently Kotex was leaking (sorry couldn't resist), but Greg's advice on a solution may work in reverse for you Tom

Thanks, I'll take a look. I thought it was strange that the screws were different lengths. By aft hole (LOLOLLOLO) in the pump, are we talking about the hole towards the muffler or carb?......ah heck...I'll just swap them from where they are now.

Shaker I will have to look at mine. Maybe if Homelitejim chimes in he may be of help. Randy great picture I was trying to guess the year, or close by the truck. Late 70's early 80's. Never seen a tractor like that. Great pic though my friend. Neil I have run into, and learned to respect that Aussie hardwood lately. The bluegum around here is riddiculous in size. Requires power, and at least midsize bar's 32, and up.

I got a new Episan piston in the mail today for the 2101. It's a thing of beauty. Looks nearly as good as a Mahle to me. The original piston that's in it has some minor scuffing on it. It never seized before, but looks to have come close. This will freshen it up nicely.

ausneil,
A little info on the trucks. They are off highway rigs. The bunks are too wide to be legal on our roads, plus the weight they carry. Most of them were not real high horsepower rigs. They used(use) planetary rearends. You could get either manual or auto tranny's in them. Some of the more common ones were Kenworth, Mack, Hayes, Pacific, and Challenger. The last 3 are no longer made. Shame. They were all built almost too good. Hope I'm not telling you stuff you already know:msp_ohmy:

ausneil,
A little info on the trucks. They are off highway rigs. The bunks are too wide to be legal on our roads, plus the weight they carry. Most of them were not real high horsepower rigs. They used(use) planetary rearends. You could get either manual or auto tranny's in them. Some of the more common ones were Kenworth, Mack, Hayes, Pacific, and Challenger. The last 3 are no longer made. Shame. They were all built almost too good. Hope I'm not telling you stuff you already know:msp_ohmy:

Thanks mate, no i have no idea on the trucks in the states, i can see they are huge and if geared right down i can see they would get away with the big HP. For sure they were purpose built for that very job and no dought they done a fine job.
I have a realy good documentry on early logging and sawmilling from new zealand, back when steam drove everything. To see the old men today recounting the old days is something else. They worked and bloody hard for the little bit they got.
I'm 3rd generation in timber and i beleive we have it so easy compared to the old timers, different times i guess.
I would love to get hold of some movies from those red wood days.

later neil

I love everything about Redwood's, and logging history. Even books just about Redwoods that werent logged. The Redwood country helped shape my life.

Latest posts

Back