2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's going to be another day or two before I get to yank a rope on a SIX[SUP]3[/SUP].

Have rings coming (the right ones this time) from Leon (OTP), and the BC saw is probably getting probed and prodded by customs about now.

OH, btw has anybody made a replacement for the plastic fuel elbow that cracks? Seems that that part can't be bought from Tillotson nor Husqvarna (or Stihl)-that common practice is popping them offa junk carbs. I have two 136c's in hand, but zero un-cracked elbows. I'll be examining the junkyard soon-i don't have a pile of carbs to dig through.

I blocked the limiter circuit with an aluminum shim neatly carved from a roadsoda can.

In the alternative I'm seriously considering making mine own from brass or copper or even stainless. Drill out the press-fit nipple, make new piece proper angle than whittle it down to press-fit is the general idea. But all that is kinda small and fiddly...

searches raise nothing but "pull one offa old carb". I've been through the Mcmaster Carr and other industrial supply books as well...

Good to see ya JIM! Wade The brass sound's like a great idea, and I am thinking a real good hardware store. That little elbow has to second elsewhere in the plumbing world or something. I have seen em before. Let me know what you come up with. I can ask Chuck at the saw shop here.

wade- i found a couple of elbows. is this what your looking for ?
if you can fiddle/twist the old stub out & measure it one of these might work.
i think one came from an HS.

attachment.php

both meas. .156", one is a little longer.

wade- i found a couple of elbows. is this what your looking for ?
if you can fiddle/twist the old stub out & measure it one of these might work.
i think one came from an HS.

attachment.php

both meas. .156", one is a little longer.

Your right with twisting out the old one, i wasn't reading closely or i would of said the same thing.

Wade,,, your local sawshop would have old wornout carbys you could rob one off, i keep a few in my spares just in case.

I would think a good hardware store too. Even a mechanical supplier, around here there is a company calle'd Lawson. They stock and carry anything nut or bolt, drift pin, cotter pin, vaccum tee's anything you could imagine.

Wade,,, your local sawshop would have old wornout carbys you could rob one off, i keep a few in my spares just in case.

they didn't offer such. I presented them with the cracked part and they shrugged and looked into the books and gave up-same thing at NAPA. one is the current local stihl dealer and the other is the guy who used to work for the farm/feed store which used to be the stihl dealer...hmph. But this is before I thought to mod a brass elbow.

yes, I could drive 60 miles back out to Ricky's and he'd probably pull one in a second for me. I may go see him one more time before I start carving the al U minimum out of the way. (he's done a lot of that.) Speaking of carving. Have the "ideal" numbers been posted here or are they secret? Ricky gave me numbers, and I've seen some that look similar-but a tad more conservative. Port timing for the six[SUP]3[/SUP] yo.

But i'd like to make a brass elbow work. Let you know which I do. I have a mini-lathe but it's pretty useless w/o a four-jaw or a tail-stock.

The salvage yard search was fruitless as well. They sometimes have piles of small engine stuff, not this trip.

+++update:

BC got here today, she's a bit rough, but i'm going to see 'bout startin' er up just to hear it run. then I'll clean it up/inspect more fully. 30" bar--I'll look like a maniac in these woods, oh nevermind...

Last edited:
they didn't offer such. I presented them with the cracked part and they shrugged and looked into the books and gave up-same thing at NAPA. one is the current local stihl dealer and the other is the guy who used to work for the farm/feed store which used to be the stihl dealer...hmph. But this is before I thought to mod a brass elbow.

yes, I could drive 60 miles back out to Ricky's and he'd probably pull one in a second for me. I may go see him one more time before I start carving the al U minimum out of the way. (he's done a lot of that.) Speaking of carving. Have the "ideal" numbers been posted here or are they secret? Ricky gave me numbers, and I've seen some that look similar-but a tad more conservative. Port timing for the six[SUP]3[/SUP] yo.

But i'd like to make a brass elbow work. Let you know which I do. I have a mini-lathe but it's pretty useless w/o a four-jaw or a tail-stock.

The salvage yard search was fruitless as well. They sometimes have piles of small engine stuff, not this trip.

+++update:

BC got here today, she's a bit rough, but i'm going to see 'bout startin' er up just to hear it run. then I'll clean it up/inspect more fully. 30" bar--I'll look like a maniac in these woods, oh nevermind...

There's is something to be said for keeping your appearance consistent..............LOL!!!!

+++update:

Wade,,, pitty you don't live in oz, i would simply send you an elbow off something worn out.
Our local husky man is very helpful on older saws if possable and our stihlman is also but does tend to only like currant saws or something he can order new parts for.
I keep a lot of old junk or parts saws of any brand whether i want them or not just for this reason because there will always be something on them usfull sometime.

thanks yall.

and now i have 2 functional plastic elbows. one on BC and the other on my second spare carb (from BC as well). I now have 2 2100's and four Tilly 136c's.

A Tale of Two Saws: (my 2100's)

The BC saw is a bit of a disappointment. Cali-whilst worn and undergoing a refreshment of rings and missing the airbox cover, is not worn _out_.

BC, does run, appears to have new fuel line and plastic elbow-BUT GOES DOWNHILL FAST from there. to wit: epoxy repaired tank/handle, broken casting (the lip at fill hole) prohibits oil-tank seal under cap, various screws missing, muffler deflector gone, muffler tabs bolts broken/missing, dog missing from cover and cut off on powerhead side. forward mount either missing or this is earlier saw. HAVEN'T looked under the hood yet. but I did get her fired off, and runs fine--

holy

BICEPS BATDOG! i'm feel them growing now...ooooooh that's why they're called...oh nevermind:blob2:

will consider a decomp casting when jug time comes.

30" bar needs tip, but otherwise just needed a good truing up (as rough as i've seen though). included chain is nicely worn back for milling...freakin' full comp. how many links issat? i forgot to count 'em. Will enjoy filing that one out.*

I was a bit bummed, BC is a parts saw that runs. So I only worked on the bar. will finish the bar in the morning (grind all paing/lacquer off the sides. Then I'll pull the muff and top cover and clutch and flywheel and get it all sparkly clean (as freekin' sparkly clean as rode hard and put up wet monster saws get w/o refinishing_yo_). Yes someday i might have a blaster and paint booth, do some "American Restoration" type work.

so to recap: BC is rough but running, Cali is cleaned up and ready for rings (and other things) and very pretty next to BC.

yeah yeah yeah, pics--in a minute or a day...I'll clean up the running saw and CAN'T WAIT to make some dust, gotta get an 8-pin!

But i don't need no stinkin' spikes on a mill. I'll probably make Cali the "bigwoods" fall/buck/showboat saw and BC the mill workhorse. Also can use Cali or 7900 for mill-work/edging with attachment.

And then i find this low miles 395 in a nearby state...what and me all out of musckle saws money!

*yeah, put "grinder" on my list for next year...

Last edited:
Neil, Rick, Wade, good evening my brothers.. Hey Wade at least you got two man that's cool stuff. I have seen some pretty rough saw's in my time. Hopefully you can clean the rough one up, and salvage it, and have two real good runner's. Every time I go to my saw shop I see the 2100 sitting on the shop floor, and feel like it is a slap in the face. It has been there for year's, and just need's ring's. The customer has no money but just let's it sit there. And I know a good home for it, hell I would even buil it a shelf:love1:

Back