2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love too! I was only introduced to pioner, about five or so years ago, by my friend, he was looking, and couldnt find parts for his saw. Looked all over my saw shop found them with the first call. I called him told him he came over the next day to fix his saw with me. I think it was a p45 he logged with it for a few years. I was impressed with the over all design, and feel power too. You can tell they were well built. After that I used to watch for them, and look around on craigslist, and stuff. I found a couple I wanted the only reason I dont have any is money. I liked what I saw, and my little experince with pioner, good looking saw's I think I saw some in the high climbers book too.

I had a p 62 last year and sold it when I had a big collection of saws sitting around. They have an awesome sound and some crazy lugging power.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wo6XSEESX8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well i hear what ya's are sayin' years ago saw catergory's were divided into comsumer farm and Pro
Consumer saws to 60cc
Farm Saws 60cc to 80cc
Pro saws 80cc to Whatever

Personally i sold farm and pro saws only leaving the consumer saws to the dept stores .... 80cc saws like the SP80, 81 Were the pick of our prop cutting saws the 105/125 our logging fence post splitting saws i tried placing the PM650 into the pro market but it wasn' sucessful and didn't meet the needs of a logger it is amazing how many farmers bought pro saws for extra incentive to cut fence posts round or split.

Mac didn't have a decent saw in the 100c category except the SP105 and it wasn't taken because a few extra bucks got you the SP125 at the same weight a few years later we got the PM1000 at 100cc a saw very similier to the Huskie 2100 but it was too late the 2100 was in the market place don't worry i sold more than my fair share of PM1000'S and the PM1000 is better than the Stihl 066 power wise.

Later again Mac got involved bringingf in the dolmar range in Mac colours then thev rot set in too little too late.

pm1.jpg

McBob.

Last edited:
I think the 2100-2101 captured some of the spirit of the American muscle saw more than any other modern European, saw. The way the 2100 runs makes me think of how a big McCulloch, Homelite , and even the 6 cube Poulan would run. Big grunt at lower rpm's. I would equate the modern saws with the older ones this way. Since we are equating saws with cars, I would say the American made muscle saws are like a Dodge Charger, and a modern European saw as a Ferrari. A Ferrari will do 200 mph all day long, but I have never seen one pulling a 30 foot camp trailer, on the other hand I have seen a Charger pulling said camp trailer. The 2101 makes its power with torque not high rpm and chain speed which is why some of us think it is one of the All Time Muscle Saws especially since it was made after most if not all of the American saw companies vanished.

Ferrari? LOL! That would be an Alpina.

Chainsaw companies saw the same corporate blindness to anything but stockholder shares, that the auto makers had. At the time, foreign interests were a small part of the decline, but furnished alternatives, similar to the Japanese car industry, which added downhill speed.

Nice! Keep it coming, that 797 looks sweet, how many cubes is that bastard! Thatll wake the neighboors. Once again homelitejim well said! Hey Randy what about the xke? The Jag man dead man's curve was'nt it giving the stingray a run or passed it? LOL! Ozflea nice pics, and breakdown. A quick funny story I think pertains to our subject. I was going down fulton road one night in Santa rosa two lanes side by side I wanted the other one, and this guy in this toyota camry two cam I think v6 was playing game's I thought WTF? Is he thinking I put it to the wood I was driving a 76 I think camero 350 headers, and a lumpy cam in it, the dude hit the gas we gave it all we had I gained the ground cause I dind'nt back down crazy-or stupid there was a curve the guy got a little scared he backed off. I was thinking to myself WTF? Just happened back there? Im glad nobody I know saw that a $%$#$$% Little foreign car with a v6 almost whipped my ass!

Nice! Keep it coming, that 797 looks sweet, how many cubes is that bastard! Thatll wake the neighboors. Once again homelitejim well said! Hey Randy what about the xke? The Jag man dead man's curve was'nt it giving the stingray a run or passed it? LOL! Ozflea nice pics, and breakdown. A quick funny story I think pertains to our subject. I was going down fulton road one night in Santa rosa two lanes side by side I wanted the other one, and this guy in this toyota camry two cam I think v6 was playing game's I thought WTF? Is he thinking I put it to the wood I was driving a 76 I think camero 350 headers, and a lumpy cam in it, the dude hit the gas we gave it all we had I gained the ground cause I dind'nt back down crazy-or stupid there was a curve the guy got a little scared he backed off. I was thinking to myself WTF? Just happened back there? Im glad nobody I know saw that a $%$#$$% Little foreign car with a v6 almost whipped my ass!

7.5ci/123cc.:cheers:

An XKE has it's juice supplied by the Prince of Darkness aka Lucas Electric. One of my Grandfathers raced Jags in the '50s and early '60s, C and D types. I remember seeing crispy wiring harnesses laid out on the shop floor.

Well i hear what ya's are sayin' years ago saw catergory's were divided into comsumer farm and Pro
Consumer saws to 60cc
Farm Saws 60cc to 80cc
Pro saws 80cc to Whatever

Personally i sold farm and pro saws only leaving the consumer saws to the dept stores .... 80cc saws like the SP80, 81 Were the pick of our prop cutting saws the 105/125 our logging fence post splitting saws i tried placing the PM650 into the pro market but it wasn' sucessful and didn't meet the needs of a logger it is amazing how many farmers bought pro saws for extra incentive to cut fence posts round or split.

Mac didn't have a decent saw in the 100c category except the SP105 and it wasn't taken because a few extra bucks got you the SP125 at the same weight a few years later we got the PM1000 at 100cc a saw very similier to the Huskie 2100 but it was too late the 2100 was in the market place don't worry i sold more than my fair share of PM1000'S and the PM1000 is better than the Stihl 066 power wise.

Later again Mac got involved bringingf in the dolmar range in Mac colours then thev rot set in too little too late.

pm1.jpg
McBob.

The 100 cc mac should be more powerful than a 90cc anything including the 066! which is still better than any other 90cc saws on the market (MS660 MAGNUM 5.7 KW 91.6CC)

back to the origanal heading, it comes down to what was used pro in there respected time periods. the 2100 series huskys had there day i remember in the late 70's early 80's prob 3 out 5 saws tippin trees around here were the 2100 husky's. thats why in 84 it was my choice for my first new work saw was a 2100. now my work saws are stihl. diff saws for diff times.

Hard to argue with those Ted. That an AMX?
Get moved out west dammit...... and bring the S797 and the AMX with you.:D

An AMX would be a neat car to own, especially the one with the big block. That is a 1970 Plymouth duster with the 340 and the buckets etc. Been workng on that rust bucket for damn near 8 years. With my driving habits, Im kind of scared to drive it haha.

Because of this thread I watched that Steve McQueen film "Sometimes a Great Notion".Several shots of old Macs.If you watch Ax Men it is something to see the size of the chokers they used then compared to now.BTW My first saw was a MAC 15, once it was started it really cut wood.Ended up in the Huskies because that is what is most readily available here.Cut up an alder a few days ago with the 2101 and even leaning on it in the cut it still wanted more.Will have to try filing the rakers down a bit more.

Latest posts

Back