2171 vs 2172

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cameron2171

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a jonsered 2171 that i bought off of ebay, big mistake i swear this saw is like 3 saws in one and its always been giving me problems since i bought it and i even had to put a new piston and cylinder in it. but any way ive been reading about the 2172 and i was wondering how it compares to the 2171, power wise and such. i graduate in less than a month and my dad is going to buy me a brand new saw as a graduation gift. i would like about the same size saw, do you guys think i should get the 2172?? let me hear your opinons

i believe they are the same saw other than 2172 having some updates much like the husky 371xp & 372xp. i am sure that it has the same technology as the 372xp xtorq (which everyone seems to love). good luck hope this helps.

Chainsaw CS 2172

The 2172 is an x-torque version of the 2171 and has a strato engine in it. Other than that it is the same saw. It is slightly taller as far as the actual saw body goes. Reviews of the 372 xtorque have been positive thus far.

Not sure how big of trees you normally work with. If you have a ticket for a free saw you may also consider a 2188.

There is also a 2166 on the horizon which has the same displacement as the 2172 but different porting. We are awaiting reports of these models, or at least its orange brother, on another thread from a few who had purchased them. If you'd prefer to save your dad some money you could consider this too.

2172 / 372xp are great saws, can't go wrong!

Your ebay saw was probably pieced together from worn out parts.
Got to be careful there. :msp_wink:

thanks alot you guys! i think im gonna go ahead and get the 2172, how big of a bar can i run on that and what chain should i get full skip or half skip also what exactly is the x torq again??

thanks alot you guys! i think im gonna go ahead and get the 2172, how big of a bar can i run on that and what chain should i get full skip or half skip also what exactly is the x torq again??

Is it damp/cold where you live? If so you might want to avoid the xtorq. Mine refused to run right in these conditions, swapped multiple carbs, no dice. Several other fallers I know have had the same experience. That said, I'd buy a 2171 in heartbeat - Sam

Back