220V Plug-in Chainsaw - Is there such a thing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't somebody on this site review a 4 stroke chainsaw recently? There's an option.

I have experience with Remington air operated, mines regulations forbids gas ICE underground. Competent saw, heavy but reliable and powerful, needs lots of air. We had 600 cfm, 4" line plumbed underground, not that the saw used much of that. Used for timbering. Note that there will be an oil spray from the exhaust of an air powered saw; oilers on air motors are a necessity. I think there will be better options for your personal needs.

My understanding is that hydraulic saws are heavy, and their hoses are much stiffer / less flexible, than an extension cord. A lot more expensive too!

Great for use under water, or maybe from a utility bucket, but I think you are getting things much more complicated than they need to be. Doesn’t your splitter run on a gas motor that you are trying to avoid in the first place?

Philbert
I don't even run my 4-cycle gas splitter anymore. The fumes are too much for me. I pay someone run it. It's OK, I can only do so much work anyway, and I can always find more work to do than I can do.

I'd have to run long hydraulic hoses from the splitter if I went that route. I was thinking I might hang the hoses from a spring attached to an eye that would slide along a horizontal 5/16 cable stretched along bottom of the trusses. I'm just in the "what-if" thinking stages.

I haven't given up on an 1800 watt electric saw yet. I know electric HP power is different than gas HP. My 5HP table saw will cut a great deal of wood fast and clean. I have 1700W worm-drive saws that cut wood really fast (as long as it is dry). That's why I started asking about people's experiences with electric chainsaws.

An 1800W electric CS will have the cutting power of about a 3kW gas powered saw.
If a gas saw says its 4HP at 12,500 RPM, unless all you cut is 3" branches that's won't be the RPMS they cut at.
Typically one that gas saw bar is buried in wood and loaded up it will be running at ~8500RPM which means its not at its max HP
Electric saws have slower revs but they have way more more torque at lower revs than gas saws so you can drop the rakers a bit and get similar cut speeds.
BTW that's also why CS pants don't work so well with electric saws.
Thank you, this is the kind of understading I am after, BobL.

Stihl used to have a 220 3 phase saw.
So it’s been done

Yes. What you need is a Stihl E30.

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...chainsaw-stihl-e30-220-440-volt-power.235742/
I have one at the back of my shed. I don't have three phase power so I have not run it. But they look like a lot of fun, for an electric saw. They produce a lot of torque but they are very heavy. Mine has a 24" bar with full chisel .404 chain. Try running that on a single phase electric chainsaw.

There is a connection box inside that lets them run either star or delta, so three phase either 220V or 415V.

I was hoping to find a cheap three phase generator or to try a phase converter, but I think the latter might do bad things to my domestic single phase power supply.

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...chainsaw-stihl-e30-220-440-volt-power.235742/
I have one at the back of my shed. I don't have three phase power so I have not run it. But they look like a lot of fun, for an electric saw. They produce a lot of torque but they are very heavy. Mine has a 24" bar with full chisel .404 chain. Try running that on a single phase electric chainsaw.

There is a connection box inside that lets them run either star or delta, so three phase either 220V or 415V.

I was hoping to find a cheap three phase generator or to try a phase converter, but I think the latter might do bad things to my domestic single phase power supply.

Are you thinking about selling the that E30? I know he's ripping that wood, but it still looked pretty slow to be running through a piece of softwood.

Look up Single Phase to 3P VFDs.
I only have 240V SP in my shop but I have 9 3P machines (lathes, Mill, bandsaw, Drill press, Dust extractor, Ventilator fan, grinders, Large belt sander) in my shop and all these machines were 415V 3P but I have converted the motors to run as 240V 3P.

What you need is 220V SP to 220V 3P VFD - motor needs to be wound/connected to suit 3P 220V operation.
Can provide more details if needed.

What you need is 220V SP to 220V 3P VFD - motor needs to be wound/connected to suit 3P 220V operation.
Can provide more details if needed.
I have often wanted to try what you are saying. I've seen the schematics. I can wire a house, but have never changed the windings on a motor.
Perhaps I will find a 220V SP saw and contact you when i do. Thanks.

I have often wanted to try what you are saying. I've seen the schematics. I can wire a house, but have never changed the windings on a motor.
Perhaps I will find a 220V SP saw and contact you when i do. Thanks.
No worries, I have helped many Aussies with their VFDs, written a "VFDs for Newbies" documen, tand make a 1 hour video about VFDs.

No worries, I have helped many Aussies with their VFDs, written a "VFDs for Newbies" documen, tand make a 1 hour video about VFDs.

Absolutely cool. Thank you, BobL
I think that it is time for me to become a subscriber, here. I have gotten much help from members (such as yourself) at this site.

I have a couple of Stihl electric chainsaws that I use at our camp when our neighbors are in residence during the holidays and/or when climbing in trees (when power is easily available).
They are much quieter and are very capable of hard work due to the torque from the motor. My MSE 200 is 2000W motor and uses 230V 50Hz AC (Norway) giving 2kW of power ( almost 2.7hp), which is a lot for its size and weight.

I had one of these cheap Remington 120v chainsaws for around the sawmill, was pretty convenient to make the occasional cut for making skids to stack stuff on or for chasing nails after I found them with the metal detector. I wished I had spent a bit more and just bought a makita or stihl though. The quality just was not there and I wasn’t too sad when it died. I had wished there was something with about 3x the power and chain speed.
I wonder how well it would work to make a manifold on the exhaust of a 70cc saw to hook a dust collector hose and have it on a sliding track like we had in the wood shop. Pretty sure a 1 hp dust collector would pull enough air that it could keep up with the exhaust heat from a large gas chainsaw.
I love to get to and solve the root of problems instead of putting bandaids on the problem. I got blessed with a few health challenges that woke me up. Have you heard of Dr Lee Cowden and his work with laser energetic detox? Really amazing for those of us who’ve been exposed to some gnarly stuff. There’s also dr Bradly Nelson with the emotion code/body code that you’ve almost got to experience it to believe it. Those two things will probably eliminate 90% of health problems. Didn’t mean to derail this into a health thread but would love for you to be able to get back to sawing with a gas power equipment cause there’s nothin like it. Just my .02

Do you by any chance have any friends or relatives serving in the military in Germany? If so, you could have them send you an electric saw manufactured for the European market, which would operate on 220 volts. Otherwise, the attached link below is for a comparison between 11 different models of electric saws available in Europe. Towards the bottom of the page you will see names of stores that sell these products, and Amazon's logo appears on a number of them. This is the European version of Amazon, and it is possible that they may ship what you are looking for to the United States. (For example, there is a Makita UC3541A model shown). Clicking on their logo also translates the product information into English. I personally have ordered some products from the European version of Amazon, and it works great - They take care of all the currency conversions for you, so it's as easy as ordering domestically.
Here is the link:

https://www.stern.de/vergleich/elektro-kettensaege/

Do you by any chance have any friends or relatives serving in the military in Germany? If so, you could have them send you an electric saw manufactured for the European market, which would operate on 220 volts. Otherwise, the attached link below is for a comparison between 11 different models of electric saws available in Europe. Towards the bottom of the page you will see names of stores that sell these products, and Amazon's logo appears on a number of them. This is the European version of Amazon, and it is possible that they may ship what you are looking for to the United States. (For example, there is a Makita UC3541A model shown). Clicking on their logo also translates the product information into English. I personally have ordered some products from the European version of Amazon, and it works great - They take care of all the currency conversions for you, so it's as easy as ordering domestically.
Here is the link:

https://www.stern.de/vergleich/elektro-kettensaege/
I couldn't be more thankful, Snowman59.
The snow is deep and it is in the minus teens here, so I stayed at my computer instead of seeing if I could break or lose tools outside.
After having exhausted my local Stihl/Husqvarna dealer, I'm waiting for the Makita guy to get back to me. The Stihl guy said to try the US - possibly eBay.
So, now I've spent some good hours looking in the USA, England and Germany for a Stihl MSE250 230V 2.5kW saw.
I've sent emails to places in those 3 countries to see if they can help. If I get nothing good from them, I will try what you say.

We have good friends in England (musicians). I doubt they have ever even touched a chainsaw, but they are friends enough that I could call them to ask if they could buy one for me.
That is what I will try if buying directly from a European Amazon dealer seems too difficult.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back