24" bar use ok for Husky 545?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olive

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Being my 545 is only 50cc, is it ok for using a 24" bar once and a great while for larger trees or is 20" the absolute max ? Thanks

24" is a big stretch. IMO 20" is the max for that one. I'd like a 60cc ported or 70cc stock buried in 24".

ok, thanks. I'm sure I can make the 20" suffice. Just wondering about the upper limits of it.

18 is Max for a 50 cc saw in my Pinon. I actually prefer them with a 16. In reality what can you cut with a 20 that you can't with a 16 or 18 ya its a little more work but I've seen plenty of 3 plus foot Pine taken with 16 inch bars

I would agree with sunfish if you were making multiple cross cuts when it comes to the occasional felling job theres no need to shorten the life of a great saw.

If the oiler will keep the bar cool, as a rare occurrence I wouldn't have a problem sticking one on there. You really need to keep the chain sharp and take your time, letting the saw and chain do the work as opposed to pushing it. I've run a 24" several times on 346's with nothing more than a muffler mod and the base gasket removed. I will add that a 20" is much better suited and you can cut close to a 40" tree with that length bar.

Latest posts

Back