242/242xp piston question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excess650

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know that at least a few of you have already replaced pistons in your 242xps. I tried searching, but didn't uncover any photos, so the question is did your replacement piston have windows? Was it OEM or what aftermarket brand?

I revived a 242, and the piston in it, I'm assuming OEM, had windows. The replacement Meteor that I have does not despite being labeled 242/242xp. :confused: After making sure the saw was going to run OK with the cleaned cylinder and piston, I thought it might be a good idea to replace the piston and reduce the squish. Now I'm still wanting to close the squish, but am wondering which piston is going to give better results.

Your cylinder should have closed ports.So with closed ports,you need window piston to let the fuel go from case to cyl.Unless the Meteor piston has non-full skirt(with "cutout" each side).But with a non full skirt and closed port cyl,performance will drop for sure.

I finally tore into my 242XPs today. I have three P&Cs. Two are Mahle sets, the other aftermarket. All look identical with windowed pistons. I've got one pretty much done. Max RPMs is 15K but too lean to get there. I haven't yet established a safe tune RPM, but will likely be around 14,500, maybe a little less. Compression is 175 hot!

Your cylinder should have closed ports.So with closed ports,you need window piston to let the fuel go from case to cyl.Unless the Meteor piston has non-full skirt(with "cutout" each side).But with a non full skirt and closed port cyl,performance will drop for sure.

Yep- The 242 is a miniature 272 so the piston should look similar.

My 242 was 160# but the squish can be reduced .015"-.020". I'm debating whether it will be worthwhile to mod the Meteor piston and install or not. The saw runs fine as is, but I was hoping for more revs. If I'm correct the muffler is just and empty can, so shouldn't be restrictive, but mine is awfully quiet.

Back