242xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Forrest

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Went to the local pawn the other day and saw a 242xp. I have a 385xp, a 55 rancher, and a 142. Where would the 242 fit? I have thought of getting it and trying my hand at porting and muffler mod before I order the new top end for my 385.
Any reviews or opinions are wecome!

What is the value of 242xp's currently?
Decent cosmetically, functional as it should, etc., typical condition.

So would it be a noticeable step up from the 55 rancher? And would it be a good saw to port?
nope, it's totally different compared to 55.
More light faster better balance, 4,7kg without bar&chain, 42cc, 10k rpm, 15,5k rpm wot, pure limbing machine. Aint any 42cc out there who is as good as one 242 when it goes to limbing work.
It's starting to be extremely difficult to get spare parts to them now. Other then a healthy compression it's important that crank bearing is in good condition, one of the crank bearing is NLA.

242 was build on the 133 crankcase.
133,234,238,242 have closed port cylinder while 42 and 246 is open port cylinder.

I've seen top shape 242 sold on ebay for 250-300€, 100€+ is what you have to pay for an project. I dont buy on ebay, prices are jacked up to much.
Local in Norway I get them from 50-100$ :)

I have 3×42 and 2×242, they are all keepers!

You can bet that someone here is searching online for pawn shops local to Saluda SC!

If it has the decals and all original plastic it would be worth that and maybe a little more (to me, but I'm obsessed). Meteor makes a nice piston for it so you really only have to be concerned that the cylinder is good. As said above, the crankcase for a 238, 42, 42 Special, and 246 will all work if you need to replace it. If you decide you don't want it, give me a PM and lets talk.

EDIT - It was pointed out to me that the Meteor piston that supposedly is for a 242 is actually a non-windowed version for the 42 (open port).

Local in Norway I get them from 50-100$ :)

Much rarer beast here - I can only be jealous! I have been watching eBay religiously for 3+ years and don't believe more than 10 have come up. I saw that almost new one recently go for $600+ but it was the exception. I wish I had that kind of money to spend on a saw that probably will never get used other than piss-revving it in the garage.

Much rarer beast here - I can only be jealous! I have been watching eBay religiously for 3+ years and don't believe more than 10 have come up. I saw that almost new one recently go for $600+ but it was the exception. I wish I had that kind of money to spend on a saw that probably will never get used other than piss-revving it in the garage.
i let 3×262 go on ebay today, 2 nice example,they where sold for 330,230,150€.
I almost went for one of them but I would like to finish my projects first.
242's where I live, one shop I buy them for around 100$, two other I get them for free ;) There is more 254's here, have the same deal on those also

The bearing is NLA? No longer available? I want to get new bearings and a carb rebuild so I have less to worry about.
you can still get that special NLA bearing, #501 59 40 02, but you sure gone work for it.
Gone give you one good advises, find one old dealer, check if they still have some old stock left.

I secured myself and bought 3 of them, probleby the last 3 in Norway

The bearing is NLA? No longer available? I want to get new bearings and a carb rebuild so I have less to worry about.

The clutch side bearing is custom and NLA although you can still get OEM seals for it. You can sometimes find NOS on ebay but you will pay $40+ if you can find them. The sheet metal bar plate is also NLA - but more easily found on the 'bay.

Latest posts

Back