25" bar on 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I got my bonus check today and am ready to drop the hammer on a 25" bar and some skip chain. I will not be using this bar allot, probably only a couple times a year. So the question is - do I need to spend the xtra $ for a solid bar with a replaceable sprocket nose (like the ES) or just does someone make a laminate bar (Stihl doesn't) that will do the job? I just do't have any experience with a larger bar. Any info and advice is appreciated. OK guys- let it fly!! :greenchainsaw:

My local shop will sell me a 25" ES for $50.00 US which seems to be a good price. I really was wondering about the diff in laminate vs solid in the longer bar. It sure makes the saw top heavy. I'll probably do very little felling with it, but quite allot of large cleanup.

Last edited:
there is a stihl p/n for a laminiated 25" bar, i can't remember the part number but i have seen it. get the ES one though, much more durable.

Stihl ES

The ES bars are not outrageously expensive.
If your only using it a couple times a year?
It'll last you a life time, providing no mishaps
Also, not sure if you need a skip chain at that length.
The 361 should pull a full comp @ 25"s providing your don't push it.
Watcha plan on cutting anyway?

My 361 cuts ok with a 25" full comp RS chain in freshly fallen red oak, 16 to 24" dia but it takes a light touch. The full skip chain allowed a bit more margin for being more aggressive. I'd say it was maxed out at this bar length and species.
Now the 440 just loved it... with a 25" bar, and I didn't even have to break out the 460.

I know Oregon has a pro lite laminated bar at that length, now if you can find someone to sell you one that's anotehr story. Also look at the Carlton bars, I believe they make them laminated in that mount and size. I really like the ES or Powermatch or other replaceable nose sprocket bars...a couple extra pounds I don't think I even feel it.

NOTHING on the market (other than the real Cannon and Tusmari (sp?)) compares to the ES bars!!!! (The others you can't afford!!!) Then it's GB!

My local shop will sell me a 25" ES for $50.00 US which seems to be a good price. I really was wondering about the diff in laminate vs solid in the longer bar. It sure makes the saw top heavy. I'll probably do very little felling with it, but quite allot of large cleanup.

Not to rub it in... but I just bought a 28" ES from my dealer and paid $49.99!:popcorn:

Got a 25" ES on my 361. No complaints here. Spend the cash for the bar, you won't be sorry.:)

Gary

Thanks for your help guys. GAS - I wish I could find a guy in NJ that wasn't trying to put his kid thru college on my dime. So many of the local dealers won't cut you a break and I thought I was doing OK with mine considering I've spent over $1000 there in the last year or so. Oh well. :deadhorse:

It's not so much the dealer trying to cash in as the manufacturer's raising the dealer cost faster than they raise the selling price. There's less wiggle room now than years ago.

I just looked out of curiosity to see if GB makes their "Powertech" in that size, but they only go up to 20".
Seems to be a pretty good bar, solid bar but a non replaceable tip.
Seems to me a better choice than the cheapie laminated ones and still a lot less expensive than the replaceable tip bars.

Back