$25 CL find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This PP4620AVHD was listed for $25 at 10:55am yesterday, I was the first call at 11:15am and it was mine by 1:30pm. The case, wrench and box was a nice surprise since they were not listed as being including. The original bar/chain was included but is bent as well was the bucking spike, though the spike straightened out fine and there is no case damage. This is the first one of these used "consumer" saws that I have bought that ran, most require a fuel system rebuild. I will say I am not much for these little saws but for $25 I can make some room.

100_3779.jpg

100_3783.jpg

100_3784.jpg

100_3790.jpg

100_3791.jpg

100_3792.jpg

I actually really like those saws - give it a good muffler mod, pull the limiters and tune it. You may be surprised at how much it wakes up. Then put on a loop of 20BPX. I have managed to make the 33SL cut pretty well by grinding off the shark fin bumpers and using a 4.8mm file, but it's a PITA. I found it to be really slow, and I think the problem is the cutters are too low plus the bumpers prevent it from clearing chips.

Last, be sure to check the engine mounting bolts. If it's like the earlier saws there is no locking hardware and there is a floating shoulder bushing in there that can spin, and the bolts often back out. The bolts have a tri-lobe thread area and Locktite doesn't really work well on them. I've replaced mine with high strength cap head screws from McMaster-Carr.

Those aren't bad little saws at all, sounds like a really sweet deal!!! Good score :clap:

nice find,,, around here i could more then double my money with one of those for what you gave for it

You guys bragging on your $25 saws is going to make me show the stihl 084 that was given to me for FREE one time. :ices_rofl:

Yes it was running, but needed a lot of TLC to make it work worthy and run real strong again. :D

I actually really like those saws - give it a good muffler mod, pull the limiters and tune it. You may be surprised at how much it wakes up. Then put on a loop of 20BPX. I have managed to make the 33SL cut pretty well by grinding off the shark fin bumpers and using a 4.8mm file, but it's a PITA. I found it to be really slow, and I think the problem is the cutters are too low plus the bumpers prevent it from clearing chips.

Last, be sure to check the engine mounting bolts. If it's like the earlier saws there is no locking hardware and there is a floating shoulder bushing in there that can spin, and the bolts often back out. The bolts have a tri-lobe thread area and Locktite doesn't really work well on them. I've replaced mine with high strength cap head screws from McMaster-Carr.

I recently rebuilt the fuel system on a similar saw for my manager, not sure exactly what the model was but I believe it was a 2700 Farmhand. While I was cleaning it out I port matched the muffler inlet and removed the guts now the feller can't quit talking about how much more power it has. I have yet to tell him that more could be had with a second exhaust port and a little more tweaking.

Thanks for the info on the engine mount because I had not heard of it before and I will make it a point to check it out before I use the saw.

You guys bragging on your $25 saws is going to make me show the stihl 084 that was given to me for FREE one time. :ices_rofl:

Yes it was running, but needed a lot of TLC to make it work worthy and run real strong again. :D

Go ahead...... I will just have to break out the ole free 070, with it's free Stihl bow bar, that just needed the ignition cleaned up.

Nice find, you should at least be able to resell and make a little $.

Wow I think you did great. They are not bad little saws and the one you got has the chain adjustment with the screw. Way to go.

Those aren't bad little saws at all, sounds like a really sweet deal!!! Good score :clap:

nice find,,, around here i could more then double my money with one of those for what you gave for it

I am quite happy with the saw myself. I had originally figured on "flipping" the saw for a few bucks but I may end up keeping it because it is so nice or I do know a few people looking for cheap saws and I could likely double my money.......

08f150,
I believe I got my McCulloch XM-40 from you on a trade deal for a unlimited coil for your 346. That was actually a very good saw but I sold it to a local feller after the storm we had 6/29, he had a couple smaller trees down and the "tree company" wanted $800 to remove them. I sold him the saw, he did all the cutting, burned the brush and then ended up giving me all the wood for free.

Last edited:
Back