250 puts a beatdown on a 261?!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed1124

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We got called in today to do some storm clean up after some big winds last night. At the end of the day we were finishing off a sugar maple and I happened to mention kind of jokingly to one of the guys I work with; my 250 will smoke the 261 he had been running all day. He laughs and said I am crazy. I said fine lets put them in some wood side by side for a little race. Granted I am running a 16 inch bar with .325 and he is running a 18 with the same. Funny thing happened. When I was about three quarters of the way through the log and he was about a quarter, he reached over and shut my saw off and proceeded to finish his cut! We all had a really good laugh. Bottom line, Randy aka Mastermind makes some really bad ass saws. Turned a turd (as some would say) into a real runner. Thanks again Randy! The look on that guys face was priceless!:msp_tongue:

Nobody touches the saw I am running unless it's the chain!:angry:

I don't think there are any video's as not to many people are that interested in a modded 250, lol. After I got the saw back from Randy I never posted anything about how happy I was with it. Just thought it was a good time to let him know. It is also always fun to kick the 250 haters in the stones from time to time too.;)

Ive used a 250 alot,stock with a 14 inch bar,gotta say its a fast little saw for a so called homeowner model.Its been abused and has cut more than its share of 20" and bigger wood.

If your doing storm clean up the first thing in my head is what is his chains condition?

A muffler modded MS250 is tough to beat. With a sharp 14 or 16" chain your good to go. I seem to reach for mine more than I do the 026.

[video]http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/scottk66/?action=view&current=ernie025b4.mp4[/video]
before
[video]http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/scottk66/?action=view&current=ernie025after.mp4[/video]
after

Ms250 is underrated

They're nice and compact and pretty durable too. The only thing I didn't like was that my 025 had a very short fuel line. It was really hard to change the fuel filter. Are the MS250s any better in this reguad?

They're nice and compact and pretty durable too. The only thing I didn't like was that my 025 had a very short fuel line. It was really hard to change the fuel filter. Are the MS250s any better in this reguad?

I can't say I know any difference between a 025 and a 250. Maybe somebody else could speak to that. As far as his chain goes I really don't know about his other than it seem to be cutting well when I ran the saw a couple of hours before. The 261 is bone stock. No muffler mod or anything. Last time I checked it it was set right around 13,900. I have the 250 at 14,800 and I can still hear a little four stroke coming out of the wood. When I got it back from Randy it was at 15,300 but he said that was probably due to the elevation difference and I should back it down some. As far as running all day, the 261 is the hands down winner. In the smoothness category there is no comparison. Also, I am sure long after my 250 is on the junk pile that 261 will still be going. They are built that much better.

I can't say I know any difference between a 025 and a 250. Maybe somebody else could speak to that. As far as his chain goes I really don't know about his other than it seem to be cutting well when I ran the saw a couple of hours before. The 261 is bone stock. No muffler mod or anything. Last time I checked it it was set right around 13,900. I have the 250 at 14,800 and I can still hear a little four stroke coming out of the wood. When I got it back from Randy it was at 15,300 but he said that was probably due to the elevation difference and I should back it down some. As far as running all day, the 261 is the hands down winner. In the smoothness category there is no comparison. Also, I am sure long after my 250 is on the junk pile that 261 will still be going. They are built that much better.
We should race your masterminded 250 against my masterminded 261 I just picked up today with 215 psi the thing is a monster and is brand new. Randy does amazing work and is a great guy.

We should race your masterminded 250 against my masterminded 261 I just picked up today with 215 psi the thing is a monster and is brand new. Randy does amazing work and is a great guy.

Naw, I don't think that would even be a race, lol, just you flying through wood and me just getting started. I hear a ported 261 is like running a 70cc saw on a 50cc chassis. That thing must be awesome! :rock:

i dont think it was mentioned in previous posts, whats done to a mastermind 250? muffler mod? how much to send him a muffler to be done?

i dont think it was mentioned in previous posts, whats done to a mastermind 250? muffler mod? how much to send him a muffler to be done?
That means the saw will be woods ported and muffler mod. Its well worth the money hes done 2 of my saws and my lord they are a blast to run.

Naw, I don't think that would even be a race, lol, just you flying through wood and me just getting started. I hear a ported 261 is like running a 70cc saw on a 50cc chassis. That thing must be awesome! :rock:
Well just for ####s and giggles we put a 25' bar and chain on it and it pulled it no problem.

Well just for ####s and giggles we put a 25' bar and chain on it and it pulled it no problem.

yes been there and dose it well

[video=youtube;YdnibuxkgHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnibuxkgHE&feature=plcp[/video]

I have two MS 250's and I just went out and checked the rpm's of one of them (i know I shouldn't do this) WOT and it turned 15200 (im at sea level) and it sounds strong it has a little port work done to it with MM but im going to wait a few days to do that in the one I just built

They are both set at idle at 2700 +/- 100

The one I just built up sound healther and has a lot more port work done to it then the other one; I hope to get this one I just built into some nice size logs this week just cutting down a little 15 foot tree didn't do it for me :msp_biggrin:

Now when will I get to run my other saws like the 261 :)

Latest posts

Back