2500 Black Walnut Thinning, Need Advice Please...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

War@Woodz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am going to start the process of thinning my plantation of 2500 Black Walnut trees. I have marked ones that are obvious to me, but, does anyone have any advice (spacing, what to look for, etc.)? Please look at this picture 008.JPG and you will see some of what needs to be done. Thanks!

Nice trees, I see your from wi, are you off of hwy 28 . I drive past a plantation like this quite a bit. I have about 100 that are about 16 inches in diameter. I planted 32 years ago when I was 6. With grandpa. Maybe the one's thinned out could be used for gun stocks or something. If you call the wi forestry dept . A forester will come out and look and give advice for free.

That sure looks like the one on 28 just before Cascade.

There are quite a few plantations in the area. Ash, cherry, maple, walnut, etc. Personally I'd leave em go for a while.
I been looking at those on 28 for years when I drive by. They really are growing slow. I wonder if some were taken out it would help. I know there's I smaller planting up by the ski hill too ,those looked liked they almost stopped growing completely. The ones I planted have a larger spacing and seem to grow faster. That is an impressive planting though.

We have a 5 acre red pine plantation. Planted 34 years ago . Most are 12-14 inch and 40 ish foot tall a forester told us they won't get much bigger because they like sandy soil and we have clay. Bitzer is there a market for these trees? We have thought about taking every other row out. Are they worth anything?

I have done some substantial internet research. My findings come down to a drastic thinning is necessary to allow those remaining to reach there maximum potential. I have tried to contact the forester, but the forester never gets back to me. I will try again one last time. I know they will grow larger because I have way larger ones that were planted by themselves (mixed woods) on a different part of my property. Same soil... The trees that have been pulled out already have tight rings and have an average of thirty years in age (rings). Nice wood because the tight rings make the density (from my understanding) substantial and are excellent for things like violins, gun stocks, or any other of the like. I plan on a lot of personal use projects with the wood, so value is not a real concern. Thanks everyone for the advice, please let me know if anyone else has any other thoughts.

006blaster, I don't know if this applies, but...

"Walnut grows best on sandy loam, loam, or silt loam textured soils but also grows well on silty clay loam soils (31). Soils with these textures hold a large amount of water that is available to the tree during dry periods of the growing season." Retrieved on 02/17/2014 from http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/juglans/nigra.htm

I have been back and forth on the issue of tall grass through out the plantation. I have yet been able to determine what the tall grass exactly is, but there sure is a lot. Some say that this chokes trees out, some say that it protects the trees roots in the winter, and some also say it is a good thing for moisture retention/erosion (wouldn't they take away from the trees?). The larger trees I have on the property do not have this tall grass around them, but I am still hesitant to change the environment without more concrete facts. Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, etc.?

Wonderful, new forester for my area, and I got in contact on the first attempt. The forester is coming out mid late next month (under better weather conditions) and we will be able to get a plan together. Thanks for the push to contact the forester again! Please let me know if anyone has any other advice!

I have been back and forth on the issue of tall grass through out the plantation. I have yet been able to determine what the tall grass exactly is, but there sure is a lot. Some say that this chokes trees out, some say that it protects the trees roots in the winter, and some also say it is a good thing for moisture retention/erosion (wouldn't they take away from the trees?). The larger trees I have on the property do not have this tall grass around them, but I am still hesitant to change the environment without more concrete facts. Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, etc.?
I have a high density apple tree planting. And this topic comes up alot. I would spray at least 3-4 around the trees if were you. And keep it mowed. I have been told the grass sucks alot of moisture out and takes a lot of nitrogen out of the ground. My trees are 3 foot apart and rows are 12 foot apart. I have mulch running down the whole row. Also the ground will warm up sooner in spring and get them going sooner without grass. Ask the forester on that too.20140222_130353.jpg

Thanks for the great advice, research, and support. I will let everyone know what I find out from the forester and how everything goes. As always, great AS support!

You'll need at least a Husqvarna 395xp to handle that kind of work. Good on you for being patient with the forester

Not trying to state the obvious, but look up before you cut. See which trees have the best crown and have won the fight of the sunlight. As close as they are planted it wouldn't hurt to cut down one on all four sides and release the dominant one.

Very cool plantation.

Is there a major financial incentive to take a large piece of property and plant hardwoods like that?

I have never seen one that size around here

I have the county forester coming out this month. I will take what I have learned from AS and what I learn from the forester and make a plan. I don't know about value, that will be possibly for my children to worry about. I might try to get something for what I thin out, but we will see... wood always has value in my furnace. :chop:

Back