254XP Ignition Timing Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcubb

562XP, 254XP, 51, 350
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am messing around with my 254XP trying to get my Ignition timing to 20 degrees. I set up a degree wheel and found TDC. I marked this number on the case and then marked where 20 Degrees BTDC is. I have filed out my keyway on the flywheel which has given me some leeway on where I want to set my flywheel.

My problem is that it does not matter where I tighten down the flywheel. The ignition timing always clocks out at 23-25 Degrees before top dead centre. It runs this timing at every RPM so it is not an automatically adjusting coil.

I am having a hard time getting the saw to idle down so that the chain will stop moving. It will slow down enough that the chain moves very slowly. I am also hearing a bit of noise coming from the engine. I was wondering if my timing was set too high causing knock or if my squish was set too low.

Heres what modifications have been done to the saw:

- Exhaust port squared off on the top edges
- Intake lowered a few degrees
- Transfer port intake side lowered to smooth out flow from the crankcase
- Replaced .035' stock base gasket with .015" paper gasket
- Muffler modifications
- 23 - 25 degrees of ignition timing

Just did some more cutting with the saw. It seems to idle higher when it has warmed up and run a little leaner top end. Im starting to wonder if I have an air leak somewhere

Back