254XP won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually, whats the difference between the 262 and the 254? is it the same case w/ a shorter crank on the 254?

why not upgrade the whole top end then...to something that is more part friendly? just an idea :)
the crank rod is shorter on 254, probleby because Husky wanted to make 254 more compact vs 262.
Same goes to fuel tank, shorter on 254, same goes to front handle, muffler and to cover.
Crankcase are the same on 254 and 262.

The real clone of them was 257, it shared something with 254 and something with 262

sounds like it needs a big bore to me :)

http://www.hlsproparts.com/Husqvarna-262-262XP-cylinder-and-piston-assembly-p/h30262.htm?Click=48376

so he'd need a 262 muffler, intake and carb setup essentially? maybe a 257 intake setup for the low top? or get a new 262xp top....
no, the most important with 254 is the crank.
If he go for 262 he also need to exchange crank, top cover handle muffler and so on, he could use 257 top cover though

if his cylinder is gone yes, that guy always have lots of used parts.

I'll download those 154 IPL's tomorrow and go through them, and check out whatever difference there was from 154 to 254, many parts have got new part number anyway.
There aint much diff from 154 to 254 in anything, but then we can help him with part numbers later.
I think bearings seals gasket sets are the same

C@TCH, if you end up short on 262xp intake gaskets, let me know, i'll send you some, I have quite a few.

I've only rebuilt a few 262xps, and happen to have the rebuild vid, but Tor R and Agrarian are the 2 series guys.... if they have advice, its very relavant :)

You can get the parts lists free directly from Husqvarna at http://www.husqvarna.com/us/support/manuals-downloads/. In the search box, type "IPL, 154, Chain Saw". I did a quick comparison between the 1985 version of the 154 and the 1986 version of the 254. The crankcases, intakes, flywheels, exhaust, chainbrake and tank are essentially identical. There is a small difference in the oil pump and as pointed out, the piston/ring/cylinder are different numbers.

This means that all seals, bearings and gaskets are the same. There are 3 earlier IPL's that I did not do a comparison with so depending on the manufacture year of this saw, there may be other differences too.

So I tried cleaning up cylinder like in video, this is what I have now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
While outside and looking around I noticed the sprocket seems to have a lot of play, is this normal. Also in the bottom of the crank it's very wet looks like gas and oil. I don't know if I want or have the experience to start taking it completely apart to change seals and gaskets.

Attachments

• trim.E855D02A-C59D-419E-A99E-EA64A5F52264.MOV
    8.4 MB · Views: 9
I wonder if there is another AS menber with more experience close by, that could lend you a hand?

So I tried cleaning up cylinder like in video, this is what I have now.

What grit paper are you using? The cylinder is starting to look good, but you will need to clean it up some more around the exhaust port. All, or as much of that dark shading should be removed.

What grit paper are you using? The cylinder is starting to look good, but you will need to clean it up some more around the exhaust port. All, or as much of that dark shading should be removed.
I started with 150 grit on a shaft that I made then ran some ScothBrite on a 2" backing plate I trimmed to fit in snug.
Then my ankle started hurting and I quit.

Thanks to all you guys for giving me tips and advice. It's a great site here, plan on sticking around for awhile.

Back