262XP fuel tank repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Had a customer come in with a busted fuel tank on his 262. Problem is 262 fuel tanks are NLA from Husky. And at $150 it's a wonder they sold out of them. More and more parts for these things are going the NLA route. 257 tanks are still available, but also pricy at $130.

I know lot's of you guys have 262's and this solution may be worth knowing should you run into one with a broken tank. The easiest option here is to convert the saw to the 254/257 mount set up. First pic you see where the 262 tank broke clean at the front mount. Not enough material to try a JB job IMO. On the left is the replacement tank. This tank is actually a 51/55 tank, which is essentially the same as the 254/257 tank. In between them, you see the 2 types of slide in mounts. The open hole mount is the 51/55 item and the other is the 254/257 mount.

S2qy5q0.jpg

Here it is installed. Repaired this with a used tank from a 51 I had laying around. Everything fits as it should. Handle bolts line right up, as they should cause the 254 and 55 use the same top handle. 257/262 of course used a taller handle. This tank doesn't allow the use of the rubber limiters that go in the hole near the bottom of the case, but without the spring mounts this doesn't matter at all.

So, this saw will feel a little more like a 257 and it will have a few more vibes. But it's sure better than having to junk the saw. (Which is what most shops would have told the guy.)

g4z4cG8.jpg

JmiCKDo.jpg

JB can handle a fuel leak. Done that a bunch of times. 1/4 is kind of big, so a little thought to keep it from dripping into the tank is needed.

I know lot's of you guys have 262's and this solution may be worth knowing should you run into one with a broken tank. The easiest option here is to convert the saw to the 254/257 mount set up. First pic you see where the 262 tank broke clean at the front mount. Not enough material to try a JB job IMO. On the left is the replacement tank. This tank is actually a 51/55 tank, which is essentially the same as the 254/257 tank. In between them, you see the 2 types of slide in mounts. The open hole mount is the 51/55 item and the other is the 254/257 mount.

Did you look at the possibility of cutting down the 55 handle so that the 262 spring setup could be used? I'm going to have to see what can be done to a junker 257 handle to turn it into a 262 workable handle - hadn't considered the possibility.

257 and 262 both use the taller handle, and I used the customer's original 262 handle on this job. It's the 254 that shares the handle with the 55. And since the 254 and 257 use the same tank, either handle will fit.

It's really the tank and not the handle determines what mounts are used. Only the 262 tank will accept the spring mounts.

257 and 262 both use the taller handle, and I used the customer's original 262 handle on this job. It's the 254 that shares the handle with the 55. And since the 254 and 257 use the same tank, either handle will fit.

It's really the tank and not the handle determines what mounts are used. Only the 262 tank will accept the spring mounts.

Sorry, by "handle" I meant the rear handle/tank. Would it be possible to cut the 257 tank assy and get the 262 spring to attach?

Don't think that would work due to the tank moldings being so different. Not just for the bottom spring, but the top springs as well.

Someone PM'd me on part numbers for the 254/257 mounts, so that number is 501867002.

ive fixed fuel tanks with a pencil soldering iron ive seen people use jbweld and it break off when gas touches it soldering iron welds it back together and a permanent repair

Latest posts

Back