266xp AM chainbrake experiences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
Bought a aftermarket chain brake from a friend who had it laying around for awhile. It’s basically junk. Doesn’t hardly work and doesn’t fit a full wrap setup. Anyone have a positive experience with the AM brakes? I still need one..

Dunno.......I've install three......all worked fine right out of the box. Brake engages and disengages fine. The fit to the saw was good...no alterations needed. As a whole they are of a lighter build than OEM, the band itself is slightly narrower and likely would not take as much physical abuse as OEM but for the money......I think I paid $17.00 each delivered....I consider I received decent value......compared to $80-$90 for new OEM.

I have a 272xp that I bought a Chinese clutch cover and brake assembly for. Don't know how a 272 compares to a 266, but my unit works fine. When I bought it, the brake was so stiff that I thought it didn't work. Contacted the seller, who immediately sent another. Then I found that the unit was okay, I just hadn't pushed hard enough to activate it. Got a shiny new unit in reserve if this one fails. I don't use the 272 that much (it's a backup for my 372, which is backed up already by a 371) so it's not likely to see use.

My strategy for Chi-made parts is: Never, never on critical engine parts, but worth a try on certain stuff like a clutch cover.

I've used a few of them and the some of the problems I've had are the flags being put on wrong and a couple where very touchy and would spring if you looked at it to hard.

I ended up getting one, and it’s pretty stiff. Works just fine just requires some effort to use.

Back