272 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1991. That is a very early 272.

Year 2001 no longer had 272's sold in North America.

I think it was from BC Canada ,as it has a wild woodsman sticker with a phone number I traced to a supplier in BC.It also has the full wrap bar.I dont know if that was a Canada only option.

Full wrap bars are a western North American item (California, Washington, Oregon and British Columbia). Eastern North America (Atlantic Coast) doesn't deal with steep slopes and users tend to opt for half wraps.

Given the BC sticker, I would say you are correct. Did they modify it? Every saw I have bought from BC has been modified. Some modifications have been very subtle. British Columbia saw tuners seem to know how to make a saw cut.

I only started it for about a min to see it run and oil when I bought it.It is all taken apart now getting a bath and a needed parts list made.As far as mods I dont know muff looks stock,but this is my first Husky.It has 155# comp. and worn out clutch springs.

1991. That is a very early 272.

Year 2001 no longer had 272's sold in North America.

I was ordering some parts for my 272 xp and the IPL's I have seen start with 93 as the first year for that saw.So I am confused :msp_confused:how my saw S# 12605XX could be from 1991.Does anyone have any input on this?

Steep slopes

Full wrap bars are a western North American item (California, Washington, Oregon and British Columbia). Eastern North America (Atlantic Coast) doesn't deal with steep slopes and users tend to opt for half wraps.

Given the BC sticker, I would say you are correct. Did they modify it? Every saw I have bought from BC has been modified. Some modifications have been very subtle. British Columbia saw tuners seem to know how to make a saw cut.

That's odd..I lived for about half a year once up in northern Vermont...I'd say that qualifies as steep slopes.

That's odd..I lived for about half a year once up in northern Vermont...I'd say that qualifies as steep slopes.

I have hunted quite a bit of northern Vermont and yet to see any of those steep slopes logged. They certainly are steep but not logged like one would see in Pacific Coast states.

I was ordering some parts for my 272 xp and the IPL's I have seen start with 93 as the first year for that saw.So I am confused :msp_confused:how my saw S# 12605XX could be from 1991.Does anyone have any input on this?

Because the serial number shows it to be from 91. If the saw was was 2001 it would have a different serial number layout. You checking for IPL's on the Husqvarna website?

EDIT:
I believe the 272 came out in 1991, though the year of the IPL very seldom makes any difference.

Last edited:

If it is a 1993 saw, the serial number would start with 3. In 1981 or 2001, 272xp saws were not sold in North America. In 1981 they weren't even produced. All this leaves you with one choice- 1991. Is your tag damaged?

Another person who owns a 1991 272xp:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/88617.htm

If it is a 1993 saw, the serial number would start with 3. In 1981 or 2001, 272xp saws were not sold in North America. In 1981 they weren't even produced. All this leaves you with one choice- 1991. Is your tag damaged?

Another person who owns a 1991 272xp:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/88617.htm

Thanks for the responces and the links to the other threads.I reread what I wrote and did not mean in anyway that you gave me some wrong info,I am just trying to learn about this saw.The tag is fine and I thought that because the IPL's started at 93 meant that was the first year for the 272xp.I should have asked for the actual begining date of production for the 272xp.So 1991 was the first year?

To date I have not seen a 272xp with a 1990 build date and from everything I have read about the 272, 1991 was the first year of production.

Just wanted to chime in, and say awesome saws by the way. One of the best models ever produced. Over shadowed by the 372 in my opinion, but just as good as the best built of today, maybe better. Very well built, great handling, and power to weight ratio.

Back