272XP on the bench.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Came in this morning, been sitting for 7 years on a shelf, asked to see if i could get it running cheap and fast. Physically its dirty but it's all there, only damage i see is a dent in the muffler. But its stuck...snug. Says it was running and quit..no restart, was put on a shelf and forgotten. I put some torque on it and it didnt budge. Piston is near the top but the skirt looks okay. I put some Knock Er Loose in the cylinder and ill let it soak...try again tomorrow. He says he doesnt want to put much into it if its going to be beyond maybe a tune up...it will def need fuel line and filter, air filter, maybe a ring or a tear down and clean up if the ring is stuck...carb kit. Might offer to buy it if he doesnt want it fixed, he says its a saw he would use about once a year and never liked the weight and didnt like the hard pull..says the bar on it (20" husky branded hard nose) was the original bar he got with it and its nearly perfect. I just don't see any reason for it to be stuck so dang tight. Can't say ive ever seen a 272 before, but it looks well built.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

In its day, it was one of the most reliable and versatile saws made. Don't fix it. Keep it and then fix it..
:baaa:
Nah if he wants to fix it im in..money to be made. But if he suggests not fixing it ill offer him what a non running 30 year old saw is worth. I just don't want to get too rough with a customer's saw but i cant spend hours getting it loose and have someone say oh well i dont want it fixed.

Well, i estimated 125 to clean it, new line, carb kit, plug, air filter, fuel filter and misc stuff and he didn't want to do it. Offered him 100 for it and he didn't want to sell it, so he gave it to me [emoji15]. Said he would be happy to not have to look at or mess with it ever again.

Good

They are great saws. I regretted selling my 268 until I acquired a 371 this weekend.
Im learning more about this one. From what im gathering, over some 30 years this saw got about 5 tanks of gas thru it total. He said his saw bench is next to a planer and miter saw, that the majority of the sawdust on it was from decades of that environment. Im about to order a carb kit and do some cleaning.

First bit of cleaning on the frame.
a7946eb932dc4e35471a1f8d1c4c97d1.jpg
ad0b544d2d0ecd7af549d3eee9620aa0.jpg
73554232082e35ba3850fa6d6e1a4287.jpg

Love mine, thin/light tough. Parts are scarce, but I still found a full wrap for it. Mine ran good stock and runs like a champ now that it's ported. I went for rpm's on the port job but it still pulls 24" threw oak no problem. Felt filter is way better then the mesh one. ZCS did mine if your interested in that route.

New rope on. Flywheel on. Has spark. I did pull the jug off, ring was stuck...a crap load of varnish. I cleaned it out and put it back together. My gauge broke last week but its every bit of 175psi
2de27231219dbc52678f964ccda0c60c.jpg
dd106c75938fae3b6d120e40793af4e5.jpg
f3f2a2a74dfdb75aa36da21191f1fba2.jpg

268XP and 272XP's are excellent saws. They are close to power of the 372XP but not nearly as popular. The anti-vibe isn't as good nor is the "ergonomics" in general, and part support is getting worse by the minute. I shelved my 268XP a few years ago and run the Echo CS-590/600P/620PW instead for that reason. My 268XP also lacks a compression release and it really needs one. Last time I did a compression check it was in the 175-180 psi range like yours and it lets you know it! It "four strokes" nicely at 13,700rpms and is a little "fat" but that's where I like them.

Would be interested to know how your cuts when you get it finished up and in some wood?......

Latest posts

Back