272XP on the bench.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for bar length, 32 was the largest it was sold with, a modem 70cc husky says 28" but the older 272 was known to produce more grunt vs high rev power of the modern saws.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

We have mainly oak, pine, maple...nothing too hard really in any real amount

That's a nice saw you done good right there!!!! Personally I would have put new seals in it when you had it apart and a new o-ring on the oil pump housing.....cheap insurance for such a nice example. That's a sweet bar.....but IMHO way to much for a 70cc saw.......You need to cut 32" a lot you need to be in the 90cc area....or more. As far as saw handling.....this entire saw family absolutely handles best with an 18" bar......now I know that sounds like blasphemy to a lot of folks, especially out westers...but it's true......if you want a saw you can fell and then limb with....and I mean with very good handling, so as not wear yourself out working all day, 18" is the very best. I have some of these saws with 18" ...most with 20" and some with 24". Will the 272XP run a 32"? Sure.......as long as you don't lean on it to hard.... but it's not likely to your go to saw with that set up. Wicked nice saw though!! Congrats!!!!

Had a 271 come in a few weeks ago wearing a 36 incher..that was ridiculous, but he runs it all the time like that and has for a good while...im sharpening 3 or 4 chains every time he comes in.

I've only seen 5 full wraps out here, and I currently own 2 of them.
16 years of working on saws ive seen 1. It was a holzforma saw and he accidentally ordered it with full wrap. I see the purpose in them but i also see them in the way

IMO a guy who is a recreational or multipurpose woodcutter should have A saw maybe 70-80cc with a wrap so you can safely fall trees from either side. Keep the big saw in your arsenal with a non wrap for flush stumping.

Most of the stuff i deal with...which again is rare, is in the 16 to 22 inch range. But i have, a few times, come across instances where a larger saw could have been handy but at the time 20" was my limit. Now i have a 25" ms311 and 32" 272xp so...i have options.

Latest posts

Back