272xp stock transfer porting questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10031994BC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question on the transfer ports of a 272xp.

So first the chainsaw's history I bought this from a guy who says he had no use for it (upgraded to 372s). I got the saw and put a 24in bar and chain on it. But the saw always seemed to struggle with that B&C combo. I ran it for a little bit cleaned the carb changed the fuel filter and all the basic stuff. I also checked the compression ~125-130 psi cold. But nothing seemed to help it out, so I just figured it just was what it was .

Well curiosity got the better of me and I can't leave well enough alone. So off comes the jug of that saw. Found that the pin in the piston pushed back allowing the ring to migrate 180 degrees away from the pin. And only by the grace of god that it didn't hang the ring and peel my piston top off.

But my question is what do the stock transfer ports of the 272 look like. Someone has rebuilt this saw but I don't know if they used husqvarna parts or Chinese parts because while I am in here I would like to woods port it

Attachments

• IMG_20180723_210735859.jpg
    IMG_20180723_210735859.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
Is it a 50 or 52mm bore? Looks like an open port Gilardoni 268 cylinder, which would be 50mm.
These can be difficult to tell whether Oem or aftermarket cause some of the china ones actually have the Gilardoni logo cast into them just like oem.
A 272 would be 52mm and closed port.

Thank you for taking the time to reply i measured and came up with 50 mm. I wonder why they did this. The saw tag says 272xp on it. So I need the correct jug thank you again

If you bring it back to a 272 cyl, you'll likely also have to get new intake bolts as the 272 uses 4mm bolts with spacer sleeves and yours are likely 5mm.

You're all set to go then.
A 268xp closed port cylinder is also an option if that's what you can find, doesn't give up much to the 52mm 272 cyl.
If you're going the budget aftmkt route, Hl supply has a cheap 272 kit branded 'warhawk', I picked one up and it looks better than most, though haven't actually tried it yet.

Hey while I have you here what are your thoughts on piston for this saw window or solid piston for the closed ports

Yup, that is a standard 268 cylinder you have there. Though, I’ve run both and have to say the 272xp cylinder has more on paper but it doesn’t feel like much more in the wood.

Latest posts

Back