272xp troubles...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am having some troubles with one of my 272xp's. The saw did not have much power. I spent an entire afternoon trying to tuning the carburator, changed spark plug, fuel filter, and fuel line. Still no luck solving the low power issue. I finally determined the saw required a rebuild of the Tillotson HS260A carburator. I wasted no time ordering a carburator from Baileys. After I received the carburator kit I cleaned the carburator body, needles, etc, and reassembled the carburator with the new parts in the kit. I reinstalled the carburator into the saw, and test ran the saw. The saw now has a respectable amount of power, and adjusts perfectly. After test running the saw, I removed the top cover and air filter to check the carburator over for possible leaks. Everything looked fine except for the throttle shaft. Fuel is seeping from the throttle shaft where the brass spacer washer, and e-clip fasten the shaft to the carburator body. Is it normal for fuel the seep for that area? Please advise me on what I course of action I should take.

Thanks,

Nick Gajewski

Did you check the throttle shaft condition,probably worn where the carb support it.At the same time,check if the throttle shutter is not worn also on each side,you can check this by unscrewing throttle screw completely and checking if you see light around the shutter when closed.

I checked the throttle shaft before assembly, and it appeared to be in good condition. I did not detect any unusual wear. The throttle shaft fit snuggly in the carburator body. The shaft also operated freely, and with no unusual resistance. Also the throttle shutter appeared to be in good condition as well. I unscrewed the throttle screw and the shutter closed with no light around the edges.

Thank you for the reply,

Nick Gajewski

Are you seeing fuel when its shut down? If so, sounds like its leaking through the needle and you happen to see it where you see it. Good luck.

I notice the fuel seeping after I shut the engine down. All areas of the carburator appear dry, with the exception of the throttle shaft. Fuel leaks out of the area where the e-clip and brass washer fasten the throttle shaft to the carburator body. Fuel does not pour out of this area, it just looks wet with fuel after engine shut down. The engine idles, accelerates, and holds W.O.T fine. I am begining to think there is nothing wrong with the carb, maybe that's just the way it operates. If that area was to be sealed, Tillotson would have engineered and placed o-rings on both sides of the throttle shaft.

Thanks for the reply,

Nick Gajewski

Latest posts

Back