28" Stihl ES bar bent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowawoodcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, after finally breaking down and buying a 28" ES bar for my MS460, I bent it slightly on my third cut with it.:censored: The stars were in alignment and the downed trees I was cutting shifted just enough to pinch it crooked. Anyway, it still ran fine afterwards and I cut quite a bit more. It is only along the top rail that it is bent very slightly towards the end (not on the replaceable tip though, just before that though). Is there any problems running it like this? How much does the stihl dealer usually charge to fix this? Can it be straightened? I tried to do it myself, but to no avail..

thanks
C

Well, after finally breaking down and buying a 28" ES bar for my MS460, I bent it slightly on my third cut with it.:censored: The stars were in alignment and the downed trees I was cutting shifted just enough to pinch it crooked. Anyway, it still ran fine afterwards and I cut quite a bit more. It is only along the top rail that it is bent very slightly towards the end (not on the replaceable tip though, just before that though). Is there any problems running it like this? How much does the stihl dealer usually charge to fix this? Can it be straightened? I tried to do it myself, but to no avail..

thanks
C

I doubt the dealer will try to fix it. They will probably tell you to buy a new bar. Just my opinion.

It probably can be straightened, but you need an arbor or hydraulic press to do it.

attachment.php

Support the bar on either side of the bend like in the picture. You have to carefully press it back the other way a little, let the pressure off, and check it with a good straight edge. Be aware also that the edges are flame hardened, and the core is not, so you may get some little cracks in the hardened area, and if you do keep an eye on them as they may work their way across the bar. If a crack is there and does get longer then for sure replace the bar.

I've straightened a lot of bars by putting them into a vice and bending them back by hand. Not too tough, and it works. If you know how to use a vice and a straight edge, forget your dealer.

Thanks guys, I used a vice and some hand bending and got it back within .050" all the way around. Not perfect but I think it will but just fine now....

thanks again
C

TomTrees, is that not close enough? It seems very close to straight to me and it does not have any stress cracks. Just curious if anyone has any specific bad experience with such a bar???

thanks
C

ok, tomtrees you were right, finally got a chance to use it the other day on some 26-28" rounds. Cut fine at the beginning of the cut, but after a bit the bent side of the bar (even though only slightly out of square) would cut crooked. So the close side would but straight and the far side started to curve. As you can probably imagine, it did not take long for this to get annoying as it would not go very far into the cut easily. Plus it burned the bar, I assume from excess pressure on the chain. Put the 20" bar back on it and zipped right though it though.

Guess I am headed to Baileys website to try a new GB Ti bar. Heard they were pretty good. Might try out a skip chain too...

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=GBT+28+SS50&CAT=
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=OPL+28+72JGX91&catID=772

Don't know if Bailey's has them in stock but it took many months for me waiting for that exact bar.
Maybe I was just in the interm, might have them in stock now.
Chad

I've heard nothing but good things about the GB-Ti bars on here. They may not be as great as a Stihl bar, but the price reflects that. Besides, that bright orange color looks great on a Stihl! Because no body has really said anything bad about them, I was going to pick up a 36" GB-Ti bar for my 660, but since my dealer is going to throw a 36" Stihl ES in with my saw, I wont be needing that anymore.

This is what someone in Germany experienced with a tree when making the felling cut. The tree twisted anyhow and his balde was toast but the saw survived.

download.php

I don't that to happen to me.

Sorry to read about your bad luck.

7sleeper

mine was not near that bad, probably not even noticeable unless you really looked at it, even less so after I finished with it in the vice. But after a few cuts in the tree, you sure could tell!!!1

Don't know if Bailey's has them in stock but it took many months for me waiting for that exact bar.
Maybe I was just in the interm, might have them in stock now.
Chad

They don't cause I have one on back order. They did say they would be here june 30th, but had I known they didn't have them when I ordered I would have pulled the trigger on a different bar. I don't have time to wait beyond this time frame. Hope it works out. If not, I'll call and verify they have it first. For me, I'd like to know somethings backordered before I get half the order-as in at the time I place the order. Grande Dog this might be something to consider adding, as I've seen other websites that notify you of this before you commit on an order. Happy with the service generally, but I can't wait a few months to get this in, as I've got cutting to do. I did call Bailey's and they said backorder fill dates are accurate, so I'm going with that.

as long as it guides a straight kirf, keep it. if not toss it. In my experiences, a bar that has been reconditioned or trued seems weaker and has a tenancy to return to its bent state.

It probably can be straightened, but you need an arbor or hydraulic press to do it.

attachment.php

Support the bar on either side of the bend like in the picture. You have to carefully press it back the other way a little, let the pressure off, and check it with a good straight edge. Be aware also that the edges are flame hardened, and the core is not, so you may get some little cracks in the hardened area, and if you do keep an eye on them as they may work their way across the bar. If a crack is there and does get longer then for sure replace the bar.

I straightened a gun barrel like this once.

Back