288 XP...... let the adventures begin.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea that's looks rough. O well. One quick question you said it has the big spring on the front does it also have two mounts on the front of the tank?

On the 281 I got it just had the big spring and it's looks like the never had ones installed in the tank. The holes are still smooth. I had to replace my brake band to. The one you got looks like one I used.

On the 281 I got it just had the big spring and it's looks like the never had ones installed in the tank. The holes are still smooth. I had to replace my brake band to. The one you got looks like one I used.

You mean the two additional AV buffer mounts in the front of the tank extension?
Yes, mine is running 4 spring AV body mounts- two rubber AV buffers in the front tank extension and the big exterior coil spring in front of the crankcase mounted to the inside bucking spike.

Can post a picture of tank? This is where I'm stuck at.

Camera is flat and being charged, but for what reason are you stuck?
The tank has provision for two extra mounts at the front of the tank extension under the oil tank, just behind the coil spring mounts.
It is my understanding (although somewhat limited understanding!) that not all saws came factory fitted with the two front AV buffers in place- they made provision for them, so I guess it was an optional extra?

Now this chain brake band- you say you fitted the one I received in your saw- can you put a photo up of how you mounted it?
Because in my way of looking at it, that band might be for 268/272 saws, but sure as heck will not mount up to my clutch cover- unless I am missing another piece of the puzzle?

I think that's how they came. The two I have with the big spring only has bolts instead of the front buffers.

Another part of the puzzle solved. Maybe.....

View attachment 781496

Had a search through the spare parts bin, found a band for a Jonsered 600 and something (625-30-70???) which is sitting in the cover, a new OEM 395 band in the bag and the broken 288 one on the right.
Here's my cover with new band. Looking at now I don't it's right. I forgot about the spring.20191220_090716.jpg

Here's my cover with new band. Looking at now I don't it's right. I forgot about the spring.View attachment 781565
Band looks okay, spring in place- you just need to put on the plastic coil spring cover......... and put the flag on in the correct orientation- coz at the moment it is set up Southpaw! :)

Yeah, so you know those two kind of cup shaped thingies that sit each side of where the brake flag attaches to the saw, form the pivot point to activate the chain brake- and you know how one part is threaded and a small socket bolt passes through one to screw into the other and hold it all together?
Well- if you neglect to put the socket bolt in......... try to fire up the saw, get it to run a bit and sit it down on idle.........
The inside "cup" can fall out, slip between front of cylinder and muffler, jump across and fall down on to the fins of the flywheel.

Makes one of those noises you never want to hear- like something metallic getting chewed up internally........ hit the kill switch- that wee cup falls in between the fins and locks the saw up........
can certainly raise one of those pit of the stomach sick feelings. :nofunny::eek::omg:

Might explain some of those saws you see with busted flywheel fins from time to time?

Okay, might be time to put this one on the back burner- a $50 saw is a $50 saw for a reason right?
There is no such thing for a free lunch and if it seems too good to be true it usually is.... right?

Seems the further I dig, the more things I find need fixing- so it is going to be a total strip down and rebuild.
Has been butchered up before, severe rounding of things like the nut that holds the flywheel on, stripped threads in a lot of the bolts that fix things on to the cases, needs oil seals (although the bearings seem fine!).
Shows all the signs of being owned by someone that had some rough idea on how to maintain it, but tried to make do with limited tooling and brute strength dusted with a smattering of ignorance.

So it is not going to be any miracle quick fix. Compression is way down, failed vacuum test at most every spot that can leak, plug lead shows signs of having been squished between the crankcase top and bottom of the upper cover- which may or may not be effecting spark, carb internals are just ugly (and dirty)- but hey, that original kill switch still works- and we all know what temperamental little sods they can be!

Will suck up some funds, some time and a lot of waiting for ordered parts (local Husqvarna agent is a Suzuki motorcycle dealer that stocks saws- "you want a what- for a what?"), but we will get there- just won't be this week.

Will keep you all posted as to when it is alive and breathing again.

List for the elves-
Brake flag (AM- have)
Brake band (OEM Jonsered- have)
Air filter (after market- ordered)
Carb kit (ordered)
New Meteor Cylinder & Piston kit (ordered)
New fuel line (using Stihl 3.1mm impulse line I had in stock)
New fuel filter (had in stock)
Seals, bearings, gasket kit (ordered)
Various body bolt fixings (most I have or can make do)
Bar stud nut (found one in parts bin)
Outer bucking spike/dog/dawg (ordered)
Bar/bars and chain/chains (still deciding)
Operator proximity lever (there was a reason the original was poking up to the sky- broken. Ordered)
Leather front handle mitt. (Can't believe I do not have a spare one! Ordered)

May also order a new Meteor piston & ring kit to try in the original cylinder- is a bit scored, but might bed in a new ring and still be okay.
Have made a bar adaptor to run Stihl bars (as I have a few), so can run up to a 30" 0.063 easily enough with what I have, kind of settled on a pair of bars for the saw- a 24"and 36", full comp and full chisel on the 24 and maybe full chisel full skip on the 36?

Latest posts

Back