288 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Guys I’m not a husky guy but I have a chance at a 288 for $220. It’s been sittinga good while and looks nice. I’ve never run a husky. How’s it compare to a MS440? I’m assuming that’s a really good buy on it.
What should I know about it?

Well I told him I’d take it and he is supposed to hold it until tomorrow for me. No bar, can I modify a stihl bar to work?

He was a tree service guy and used it for the big work before retiring.

What all bars fit? I have Poulan 4000 series bars and stihl bars. Like lots of them.
What model of bar fits this husky? Needs to be .375 .050 66DL

The reason I say yo might as well buy a new one as the guys on eBay usually want 15-20 for the adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the help. I knew I needed to buy it, the price is right so if I don’t like it I can just resell it and get all my money back I’d suspect even if I buy a new bar.
It’s a dang beastly machine so it’s probably more than I’d ever need.

Worlds above your other saw. I have a 288xp modded a good bit and it's nasty strong. Always grab a running 288 when the price is right, and that price is right.

I guarantee if I like it a little it won’t be stock for long. I just run 18” bars though so I’m not sure that I can really utilize the thing and it’s extra weight.

What’s the smallest bar it will balance good with? Hate to swap to anything because now all my chains are the same size besides one for a 30” I never use.

I ran one with a 18” bar and it’s an awesome power head shes a tad bigger than a 266/268 but way more in power. Trust me your going to like it. A lot.

I’ll get you guys some pics later today It needs a few things, but still feels like a big score. It does have a full wrap handle. Rear Handle has a small chunk out in one spot, but the paint is hardly scratched anywhere signaling low hours to me.

Air filter, it’s different than anything I’ve seen. It’s like a high top but has a single nut on a stud on the very top. It’s huge and rotten foam.

Rim sprocket, it’s very worn, but the good news is the guy I bought it from ran a tree service and he acted like it was the original! Does it match my big stihl rims? Would you do an 8 if I’m gonna run a 18” bar?

Most likely it needs an oil pump, the pump is pretty rotted looking. Like I can see the crankcase seal. The guy had used it almost solely it to cut big palm trees and he said they were acidic and ate that area up even though he tried to clean it up at the end of the day.

The chainbrake seems hard to operate, but I don’t know Husky and don’t have a bar to boktbit tight on either.

I’m excited to get home and get it running, but for now I promised the wife a day in the city.
394C2F23-A3D9-477C-8D73-977FF162A6EB.png

Shorter length bars 16”-17”-18” I run 8 tooth rim. Longer bars 20” & up I use 7 tooth rims. Full wrap handle good felling saw.

I’ll get you guys some pics later today It needs a few things, but still feels like a big score. It does have a full wrap handle. Rear Handle has a small chunk out in one spot, but the paint is hardly scratched anywhere signaling low hours to me.

Air filter, it’s different than anything I’ve seen. It’s like a high top but has a single nut on a stud on the very top. It’s huge and rotten foam.

Rim sprocket, it’s very worn, but the good news is the guy I bought it from ran a tree service and he acted like it was the original! Does it match my big stihl rims? Would you do an 8 if I’m gonna run a 18” bar?

Most likely it needs an oil pump, the pump is pretty rotted looking. Like I can see the crankcase seal. The guy had used it almost solely it to cut big palm trees and he said they were acidic and ate that area up even though he tried to clean it up at the end of the day.

The chainbrake seems hard to operate, but I don’t know Husky and don’t have a bar to boktbit tight on either.

I’m excited to get home and get it running, but for now I promised the wife a day in the city.
View attachment 721439

That’s a west coast saw, wrap, hi top with the better air filter, large dawgs, and clutch cover. Most of the time we ran 32’s and 36’s on them, the 32’s full comp would have 8 pin sprockets and the 36 if it was full comp would be 7 any other combo semi skip or full skip would be 8.

That’s a west coast saw, wrap, hi top with the better air filter, large dawgs, and clutch cover. Most of the time we ran 32’s and 36’s on them, the 32’s full comp would have 8 pin sprockets and the 36 if it was full comp would be 7 any other combo semi skip or full skip would be 8.

Yea the guy was from out west Phoenix or something. Retired to Texas. He had a 031av stihl too I passed on.

never seen one with a foam filter, have a 288 I got on a trade in that needs a carb rebuild, haven't had time to get at it, and they have a high top filter similar to a 395 high top at least the last 2 I've had in.

You can still get them, Uni makes them.
a52f4ae82b037b2c6ab6800cd8a8a5aa.jpg

Latest posts

Back