288xp??? I think.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmraney

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought this thing used as a runner with a "fresh top end" Bought it cheap enough that I wasn't truly worried about it. It's ugly as hell. But runs pretty solid. I ran it pretty hard yesterday. Things I noticed. It runs a 24 inch bar like it's non existent. It is hard to restart hot. My 262s will fire back up in one maybe two pulls. This thing takes 4-5. It's true Id tag is missing. So does it look like a 288? Any ideas on polishing plastics? Any ideas on what compression this thing should have? image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on the hot restart?
That's what I meant by checking the compression and pulling the muffler for a look a damaged piston will cause it to start hard. It is a good base to work off of start there. Then I would suspect the coil after that if all is well.

Good idea to check comp. and pull the muffler on all newly acquired saws but your hot start issue may be a simple low side carb adjustment. We spend a lot of time making sure a saw fourstrokes just right or is set right at 13,500 but not much is said about the lowly low adjustment. Try at idle ccw until it roughens up note how far cw you go to roughen up then back to the center of these points then slight adj either way while blipping the throttle to check for the best response. This has work well for me. Make sure to readjust the hi as any lo adj will effect the total fuel setting. Ken

I really don't doubt that it is.... Just would like to know for sure

Yours looks super clean

Ya I don't use the saw very often. My 262s are my go to's. I'm gonna check the plug and compression. As long as that's good I'll pull and clean the carb put a fresh plug in and "tune" it. See if it adjust its attitude

it does look to be a 288 although it is evident that someone has drilled the cylinder cover for the decomp. this either signifies that it has a newer 288 top end on it with the decomp or an after market top end on it. i'd just run it and forget the plastics. these saws are generally really good for any kind starting and i find the only reason for hot start issues are the same as the 394. (cracked intake block). here in the PNW those saws ran 36" regularly and 42" on occasion although eastern folks will run alot smaller on it.

Might have been a 181-52mm bore now converted to 288 54mm bore, might want to adk previous owner if the old cylinder is available, the 181 from what I have read can be made to really run, those cylinder are supposed to have excellent numbers and great compression.

Latest posts

Back