290 Rattle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkersh409

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a Stihl 290 tonight. After a while of playing around cutting up some limbs laying around I started to hear what I can only describe as something metal rattling. Almost like if you put a metal washer on a bolt and shook it. Only while at idle you can notice it. This being my first real chain saw is this sound normal? Or does something need tighten up after a few minutes of use? Sounds like it is coming from the clutch area.

Must say what a difference from my old 32cc Poulan!!! Does not even compare.

Is it a new saw or a used saw.

Could possibly be the clutch bearing needs to be greased.

Is the chain spinning while at idle or hopping at idle could be worn out clutch or idle speed set to high.

:agree2: Grease the bearing, check all the bolts on the saw. I would pop the muffler off, and make sure its empty. I found a small washer in a muffler once, guy must have been working on his saw with the plug out. Any way, odds are there is nothing in there, but nice to not find out the hard way.

Assuming it's a used saw i'd say what you're hearing is piston slap. :chainsaw:

Does the sound sync with the revolutions of the engine? Or it is just a periodic mettalic rattle? If it is the first, you might be getting piston slap. If it is the second, it is more likely clutch/drum/washer noises. The first is a bit serious, the second, not so much.

To do some further testing, take the bar and chain off. If the noise persists exactly as before, I am more inclined to think piston slap. If the noise changes considerably, I'm thinking more along the lines of clutch.

Last edited:
my 025 and my 2094 rattles on idle too...
but i know its the clutch because it stops when i put the brake on
i cant seem to get them tuned right no matter how hard i try

Just a little clutch pinging on the sprocket, you could probably lose it by
adjusting your idle down slightly.

I got a Stihl 290 tonight. After a while of playing around cutting up some limbs laying around I started to hear what I can only describe as something metal rattling. Almost like if you put a metal washer on a bolt and shook it. Only while at idle you can notice it. This being my first real chain saw is this sound normal? Or does something need tighten up after a few minutes of use? Sounds like it is coming from the clutch area.

Must say what a difference from my old 32cc Poulan!!! Does not even compare.

I hear that same sound from my 290 that I have used for years. Weird sound. Baffled me at first, but I never figured out where it was coming from. I learned to ignore it. The saw was near new when I first got it, and was maintained by a pro Stihl shop. I grease the bearings, regularly clean the air filter, use good synthetic premix oil and fresh super gas, yadda yadda. Another thing I notice about the 290 is what I call the 'German zing'. When you are cutting with it and it is dialed in, it whirs, which is probably the flywheel fan, but it sounds good to me. Like revving a race engine or something. I hear that same sound from other 290s being used.

Yah, its a real chainsaw. It has an adjustable oiler too, BTW. I would recommend getting a rim type sprocket for it, and run 3/8 size chain. It will cut and cut and cut. A tad heavy, and prone to vibration if using for long periods of time. But it will cut and cut and cut.

my 025 and my 2094 rattles on idle too...
but i know its the clutch because it stops when i put the brake on
i cant seem to get them tuned right no matter how hard i try

That is probably it! The clutch being 'off' (retracted) and with the brake off (expanded), it would allow the drum to rattle and ring. Makes sence... tuning would not make any difference.

Yes it is a brand new saw. Only about 20 minutes on the saw total. At idle the chain does not move at all. When you hit the throttle the noise goes away. Or just can't hear it because of it being loud. I will have to set the break when I hear it tomorrow to see if it goes away. It really does sound like the clutch. Almost like if you tapped on it with a small bolt.

My 260 has a clutch rattle noise when the clutch gets hot. Only at idle. Not loud enough to cause worry though. Sounds like a cars exhaust pinging after shutting a hot car off.

I repaired a craftsman saw this week for a guy that wouldn't run. When I got it to run I found that it rattled when it was at idle. I took the starter cover off and found that the ignition was loose so that every time the flywheel went around the magnet in it pulled the ignition to it, hence the rattle. I don't know why it would even run being so loose. I set it in place and tightened it. The saw ran perfect after that. The saw is nearly new. It must have been loose from the factory. It might be one thing to look at.

Thanks guys I found the rattle. When I pulled the chain cover I saw a washer on the outside of the sprocket. It is held on but an "E" clip. So tighten it is impossible. But at least I know nothing is wrong with the saw. Thanks for the info.

All Stihls are that way. E clips on the sprocket/clutch drum. They are designed to be a tad loose so that they do not bind.

Hey, just found this post. I just bought a 200t that has the same “issue” if you’ll call it that. Chain break off, there’s some rattling going on in the clutch assembly.

Latest posts

Back