2nd attempt at square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know they arent perfect, seems I am pretty consistant on getting a side beak. Cutter on the other side are about the same. On the ones that I dont have a beak on I was getting into the tie strap ALLOT. I guess I should have taken a good pic of that.

Anyway, let it begin....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks good, beak is a bit heavy on a couple of the shots, actually pulling up on the file for the last stroke or two I have found to help control that.

Don't worry to much about the tie strap. Hold the angles right on the cutter and you will normaly hit the strap. Looking like your getting there.

As posted above, cutting the staps a bit is not an issue, seems you almost need to to get a sharp angle. Doggy boning the chain covers up those unintentional cut into the straps.

Cleaning out the gullet and blending it into the square filed side plate helps a little too.

After a while you while and after you square file chains in your dreams while sleeping you will be able to file, chew gum and carry a conversation all at the same time.

Whats your angle on it (punn intended) cutting fast for competition or fire wood/ logging?

My local Husky dealer brought in a whole bunch of square files, and priced them by the box. I talked them out of a couple of singles for rakers, they are really nice files, far better than the cheap ones I have been using. May have to go buy some more and try this out. They really had no idea what they were for. Hey, it's a farm supply store that sells Huskys.

Keep working on it Casey, then you can show me how.

Mark

casey, many thanks for posting pic. been using triangle style and don't like it. pita keeping tooth within work area of file.

oldsaw said:
My local Husky dealer brought in a whole bunch of square files, and priced them by the box. I talked them out of a couple of singles for rakers, they are really nice files, far better than the cheap ones I have been using. May have to go buy some more and try this out. They really had no idea what they were for. Hey, it's a farm supply store that sells Huskys.

Keep working on it Casey, then you can show me how.

Mark

Is he selling them at the price of a regular flat file?

If he is, let me know via PM and Ill take a box.

046 said:
casey, many thanks for posting pic. been using triangle style and don't like it. pita keeping tooth within work area of file.

I started with the chisel bit file like Casey showed a pic of. It took quite a while. I then tried a couple of the triangle files like you are talking about and I found them much easier to work with.

The triangle files get a much deeper angle than the triangle ones can. These are what I use for my play chains (I say play chains because I am not a racer). I use the triangle files on my work chains. It is easier for me to see the working corner and it overall much easier for me to use these effectively in the woods vs the chisel bits.

Hey, 046, you have to start somewhere. Not a square filer, but it seems that you need to roll the file a bit clockwise to get some angle on the top plate (pretty vertical), and add some more down and back angle. You also need to get the file down in the gullet further, that hump is going to slow you down.

You have a pretty good victim, um, I mean chain there to practice on. Dad always used to say "you won't learn any younger." He started saying that immediately after he told me "I got you something" one Saturday morning...a water pump to put in his pick-up. I was 12 or 13 at the time.

Mark

2nd set is definitely better. Congrats.

Last edited:
Back