3/4 pitch chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLLOGVT

Reaction score
I run a fabtek ft-240 danglehead with 3/4 pitch bar and chain. I've noticed that sometimes the face of my logs that i cut have a washboard effect to them. If you run your hand across it there is awavy feel to the wood. Any thoughts? Am i doing something weird when i'm sharpening? Or maybe this is normal with 3/4?

How low are you running your depth gauges? That wavy effect can be the result of running the depth gauges (rakers) too low.

You could also be grinding the gullet too deep.

wavy ends

with my older FEC bucksaw, the same effect came thru when the bar rail gap was quite warn, allowing the cutters to wiggle while in the cut, seemed to go away when I recently changed to a new bar.....

Wavy ends

Hey thanks. I'll check my bar out. Someone else mentioned if i was missing cutters or had gaps in my chain loop and i think that might be what it is. Ive noticed it less with a new chain. Sometimes i have an older chain that i've repaired and i leave a cutter or two out then it's worse. But i failed to piece this together before.

I had a Bell with a dangle head that ran 3/4 and i would get cuts like that once in a while. I found that when i ground my rakers down that if i took a little off the sides it helped, allows the chain to tip out alittle more in the cut.

Washboard

How do you sharpen? Machine or file? What machine? I run a Fabtek with 3/4 chain also. When that "look" you are talking about appears where I cut it can mean several things: I hit a rock or metal with several cutters, the bar is in need of a resquaring, or the chain is just dull. If you keep the top plate angle at 25 degrees (on the cutter) or so your bar will last longer and there will be less of a side thrust on the chain-which wears out the bar. Many people use 30 or 35 degrees, and that wears the bar and chain out quicker, and makes the chain wander sideways in the kerf. Also, make sure your rakers are uniform-that is critical.

Latest posts

Back