3/8 vs. .325 Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What would be the main reason for using .325 chain instead of 3/8 ?

The chain size is based on the power of the saw. You can change it to anything you want, just have to get the right sprocket and bar to match.

I have a Stihl 026 Pro that came with a 325 bar and chain. Needless to say it didnt match what I was using on the 036 or MS460, so I decided to change both the sprocket and bar and now all (3) of my Stihls use the same chain and bar configuration (3/8" x .050"). I did it for interchangability and the 026 actually cuts better in my opinion.

Craig

I acquired a Jonsered 590 (50cc) the bar and sprocket are toast. I just happen to have a .325 20" bar that fits it. But yes most of my other saws are 3/8 so maybe a new bar is a better choice...

I acquired a Jonsered 590 (50cc) the bar and sprocket are toast. I just happen to have a .325 20" bar that fits it. But yes most of my other saws are 3/8 so maybe a new bar is a better choice...

I don't know many saws outside of stihl, but if I can compare my 56cc 029 super to that 590 I would say stay with 325. I would think a smaller bar would be even better though. I just purchased a 18" .325 for the 029 as I thought it would be the best/biggest size for it to run/cut at its' best.

If your saw doesn't have enough balls to run 3/8th, then you should use .325. That would be the only reason I would use .325 over 3/8, but then I wouldn't own such a saw, LOL. I like to buy spools of chain, and therefore don't want any oddball sizes or gauges to deal with. I have a modded 260 and it pulls a 20" bar with 3/8th without any problem. I guess, a top handle would be something you would want .325 on???

Sam

Brian, I think your 590 will like a 16"-18" .325 setup best. If your not cutting big stuff with it all the time you may like to try a 8 tooth sprocket on it.

That is considered a high speed saw, not a torquer.

The.325 seems to work better when you are cutting a lot of wood under 15" or brush or small saplings, the full comp. 3/8 seems to grab a little more. But then most of the big saws we have, run the 3/8 and you don't want to lug one around to cut small stuff, or clear saplings or brush. We run the .325 on Dolmar 5100's, and a couple of 5000 Partners we still use. Tried the narrow kerf .325 did not notice a huge difference either.

The type of chain and bar length should match the power and type of cutting that you intend to do with the saw.

I use and prefer 3/8" on all of my 60cc and larger saws, 18" and longer bars.

The .325 is better suited to 16-18" bars on smaller saws around 50-55cc.

My smaller saws under 50cc like the 3/8LP on 12-16" bars.

I've tried .325 on my 262XP and it just has too much power for it.

The larger chains also have more integrity with them, to stay in shape under heavy load on longer bars being pushed by a lot of power/speed thru hardwoods.

I tried .325" on a 20" bar once and didn't like it. Same deal with 3/8LP, it didn't fair well on an 18" bar on one of my 50cc saws, aside from limbing and light work.

The surface area of the cutters also come into play. If you are bucking big material, the .325" will stop cutting sooner than 3/8" encountering the same amount of dust and dirt......Cliff

Last edited:
It's all about preference, saw type, and conditions.
I have compared both .325" and 3/8" on my 50cc Dolmar 5100-S and 3/8" is far better in my conditions. Some guys swear by .325" and I'm sure in cleaner wood it suits some people. In dirtier wood 3/8" will stay sharper longer.

You can gear the saw lower (.325x7), to keep the chain speed higher in larger wood or with a weak saw, and you can have a cutter more in the wood - then there are several factors that may vary between exact chain models, and go both ways.......

The only way to really know what works best is to try both, with the chain you are going to use.

As a general rule .325 will work best on 50cc or less saws. 3/8 LO-Pro on limbers 42cc and smaller and use 3/8 on the bigger stuff 55cc and bigger. Type of wood matters too, but the is a good rule of thumb.

As a general rule .325 will work best on 50cc or less saws. 3/8 LO-Pro on limbers 42cc and smaller and use 3/8 on the bigger stuff 55cc and bigger. Type of wood matters too, but the is a good rule of thumb.

I would put the general borderline cc a bit higher, but at some point practical considerations may override a small gain in cutting speed..... :):angel:

Horses for courses

I'd like nothing better than to have all 3/8" so I only needed one file/sharpforce setup.

That said, I really don't like to limb with 3/8" I find the .325 to be less grabby. The 3/8" tends to grab and thow stuff much more.

YMMV...

Latest posts

Back