3 point hitch splitter hydraulic question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil21502

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just purchased an ls tractor and ordered a dr 3 point log splitter for the back. My question is on the hydraulic hoses on the splitter ...I need to thread on some quick disconnects. Do I use Teflon tape like on an air hose or something else? Thanks.

Never use teflon tape on Hydro is what has been drummed into me. There are specific pipe compounds for hydo connections due to the elevated pressures. Possible for small pieces of tape to get into system and cause problems ( jams up valves) as well as possibly allowing a leak under pressure. Squirting/ spraying hydro can cause a world of hurt.

Blades is right tons of people say not to use Teflon. I however do use Teflon but I make sure that I never go to the ends of the threads and keep it back a bit. I've never had much luck with the different types of pipe dope available and I hate chasing leaks. Keep in mind some fittings don't require dope or Teflon.
FYI, I have several 3 pth splitters and haven't used any of them in years. I always want to use my tractor for other stuff.

I just have a few acres so I'm hoping I'll get use out of the splitter. I really only use my tractor for snow removal and firewood gathering.

I thought the same thing when I bought my tractor too phil. I use it all the time for tons of stuff now. I only have 10 acres, let a neighbour use 5 acres for crops, I have no bush but log close by on a farmers property. Lots of firewooding but lots more too. Levelling driveway, roto tilling, bush hogging, planting trees, moving dirt and gravel, lifting stuff, giving my grandson rides and lots more. I bought a Speeco with gas engine to free up the tractor to load rounds onto a trailer that is level with the splitter table, cuts down on the heavy lifting.

True. Guess I'll just have to give it a try. Just starting all this stuff. Lol. Liking it so far.

Back