3 strand on portawrap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZinTrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
anybody use 3strand on their portawrap?
what is your experience with the rope twisting up?

currently I have a 70ft trueblue rigging line, and its great, but im wanting to get some cheaper 3 strand for natural crotch rigging

Im also looking at buzzz line, it seems the same as true blue but its orange which id rather for rigging, since its more hi-vis
the trueblue is holding up great for natural crotch all things considered

https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store/category/polyester
I really like this place for rigging ropes, prices are unbeatable on their house brand and the quality is great. Free shipping if you spend 200$ I think, which can be big bucks if shipping spools of rope from Canada.

Browse around there. There’s urethane coated all polyester double braid, and uncoated double braids. At the moment, it looks like their solid (not hollow) 12 strand, and urethane coated poly/nylon double braid is sold out, or only large diameter available. Check back occasionally to see if they made more, or ask them. Customer service is great too.

https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store/category/polyester
I really like this place for rigging ropes, prices are unbeatable on their house brand and the quality is great. Free shipping if you spend 200$ I think, which can be big bucks if shipping spools of rope from Canada.

Browse around there. There’s urethane coated all polyester double braid, and uncoated double braids. At the moment, it looks like their solid (not hollow) 12 strand, and urethane coated poly/nylon double braid is sold out, or only large diameter available. Check back occasionally to see if they made more, or ask them. Customer service is great too.
dayum, wish I knew about them sooner

thanks man

I'd hesitate to use 3 strand for natural crotch rigging unless it is a removal. I'm hesitant to do any natural crotch rigging on a prune...bit especially not with an abrasive rope.
I dont rig much heavy stuff (all my work is hand saw), all im doing for rigging is getting stuff away from the tree normally, so not much friction on the tree itself

3 strand is still more friction than newer rope designs. If you are pruning, isn't your job to protect the tree? Why save a few dollars on a rope and risk that?
I dont rig prunes, although I dont do much pruning yet, im just wondering about using 3 strand for removals, since its field sliceable, lasts forever, and its dirt cheap

the reason I dont rig prunes: all my pruning is handsaw work, cut and toss, would be a waste of time to rig that

that being said, I am working on getting a top handle, and practicing with it on the ground for a few days before taking it up the tree, will be a while before I get one and am cutting with it tho

I guess im being confusing right now

I dont rig prunes since I have no need to, its all light stuff, and none of it is close to buildings

I DO rig small removals for practice, and use a 5-1 connected to my porty as a world mover, occasionally ill use it as a skyline yarder for moving brush up hills, works decently

Got it! Sure...use the cheap/free rope on removals. The only reason I have 3-strand is for a Maasdam rope puller. That comes out maybe two or three times a year.

We do almost no removals. I make probably 90% of my cuts with a handsaw. But there are certainly times when that stuff needs rigged too as you get closer to houses and other targets. I've got a 3/8" Stable Braid that I use quite a bit for that. Super light and easy to tie knots. Also have a 5/8" that I hardly use because it is so heavy. Many of the pieces we are lowering won't even pull it down.

I got the 3/8” Stable Braid too, it’s really handy, and strength is more than 1/2” Arborplex, which isn’t a bad light rigging rope either. Nice for tagline and light rigging.

Back