3 trimmers to Repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at a friends house Sat night and he said he had 3 trimmers he could not get running. I told him I would take them home and look at them. First is a Craftsman Brush Whacker. The carb is all varnished up, the air filters have turned to power but it will start with a little premix poured in the carb.

Second is an Echo 2400. The tank grommet is loose in the tank and the fuel lines are hard as a rock. I don't think it has the right air filter in it, it fits the cover but I don't see how it seals around the choke rod.

Third an FS76 Stihl. He tried to change the primer bulb but it seems to big. I believe someone sold him the wrong bulb. The tank grommet also leaks on this one.

I'm going to try to get a tank grommet, fuel lines and air filter for the Echo today. I may go by the Stihl dealer and get a primer bulb, fuel lines ( though I don't know what size) and tank grommet for the FS76. I just got an FS76 from my BIL a few weeks ago, around here everyone seems to buy the same things. I hope this Craftsman doesn't need any parts.
Cannon

The Craftsman is a 37cc Robin engine and has good torque. It's from the eighties. Parts are still available from Sears. Sachs also used this brushcutter, so maybe there are parts available that way.

I got the Echo going this afternoon. It took an air filter, fuel filter. tank grommet and fuel lines. The small bulb is a 188-12-1, I picked one of them up but haven't installed it yet. I got the Craftsman to start and run but can't get it to idle. It calls for 16-1 fuel oil mixture. If I remember my 2 stroke dirt bike carbs correctly you have to change jets to adjust it.
Cannon

The Stihl needed the smaller primer bulb (188-12-1), carb kit, fuel lines and still will not run WOT for over 5 seconds. I changed the fuel filter yesterday with only slight improvement. This morning I'm going to take the fuel cap off my FS76 and try it on his. His has a new looking cap on it and I don't see a vent hole in it.
The craftsman is running but not well. I'm saving it for last because neither one of us is still man enough to run this thing all day, if we ever were.
Cannon

Well I'm giving up on the Stihl. The carb (Walbro WT277F) is leaking from either the bottom or the plastic inlet nipple. I've had it apart 5 or 6 times, used a couple of kits and can't get it running right. It will crank and run fine for about 45 seconds the die like it's out of fuel. I put the vented fuel cap off my FS76 on it and there was no improvement. I checked the muffler, it was clear. Piston is not scored. One time I filled it up with gas, cranked it, It ran it's standard 45 seconds and quit so I went in the house for a few hours. When I came back out the tank was nearly empty and I couldn't pull the starter rope through. I removed the plug, pulled the rope and shot a stream of gas across the yard. I think with a new carb or a better mechanic this would be a good trimmer but I'm tired of fooling with it.
Cannon

Back