.325 chain on a MS 360/361/362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The raker height controls the bite!! If the cutter width is the same the bite is the same. Most other .325 chains I would agree with you.

That's what I'm looking for. Thanks

Maybe I should have titled this thread ".325 on a 60cc saw" Who's done it?

I use 3/8 on my MS361 and .325 on my 357xp (only 56.5cc though). I can't tell a difference in cutting speed at all - and both saws are great
with their setup:greenchainsaw:

I used an 18" .325 460 mag for thinning forests, full chizel stihl chain with the drags lowered, the trees being radiatas around the 15" - 20" diameter range, 500 trees a day the average, best feature being a smooth cut, knife thru butter type of cut actually, but the 3/8 is more heavy-duty over all, the 3/8 is tougher if it gets pinched and you're havin' to really lever on the bar to get it unstuck, or just generally over the day you've got to be more careful with the lighter chain, but the 18" 460mag is heaps of horsepower and the .325 handles it no sweat

Most of the 034/036's I service have .325 pitch chain, but for some reason all of MS360's and MS361's switched over to 3/8 pitch. The only issue I see is that the 361's and 362's run the standard large spline sprocket, like the 44, 460, and 660, where the 034/036 run a medium spline that is used on the 034, MS390, MS310, MS290 so they may not make a .325 sprocket to fit the large spline sprockets.

Those saws will work great with .325 chain. You will want the 8 or 9 tooth sprocket. With a 9 tooth you may need 1 extra drive like on the chain. Compare the stihl rsc chains in .325 and 3/8 pitchs. The cutters are the same width and length. You will have more cutters in the wood with .325. It can cause chip clearing problems on longer bars with some wood. I set up my 036 with .325 when it was new, and work as good if not better than 3/8's with a 18 or 20" bar. I have run both.

Only a 9-pin .325 rim will fit the standard spline drum of the 361 - I am sure it is great for limbing and smaller wood, but probably a bit much with a "buried" 18" bar, unless the saw is modded.

Very good posts guys. I appreciated it.

So, if I'm understanding correctly:

-.325 will work fine on a 60cc saw and most manufactures recommend it.

-3/8 and .325 have the same width cutter (so the kerf is the same), but the .325's cutter has a smaller gullet or shorter cutter. The raker should keep the "bit" the same for both though? But if .325 cuts smoother it makes sense that it would be taking less "bit"?...

-To keep the same chain speed as 7 pin 3/8, I'd have to run an 8 pin with .325. An I could run a 9 pin, but would have to add a link and it's more suited for limbing. Not big wood.

-Problem though, the 361 and 362 use a standard larger sprocket spline and .325 rims only fit a smaller spline (except a 9 pin)?.. Guess this is the reason Stihl switched to 3/8 on the 361 & 362? If this is the case and I can only run a 9 pin with .325, it will not be suitible for my cutting conditions (all around firewood saw in dry hard wood, 14" average size). Plus you cant just walk into the dealer and pick up a standard box of 18" .325 RSC chain. I'd have to find a dealer that has a reel and get it looped with and extra link every time. Not real convenient.

Can someone else verify what Saw Troll said about the only large spline .325 rim is a 9 pin?
It looks like 3/8 is going to be my only choice...

Thanks

-3/8 and .325 have the same width cutter (so the kerf is the same), but the .325's cutter has a smaller gullet or shorter cutter. The raker should keep the "bit" the same for both though? But if .325 cuts smoother it makes sense that it would be taking less "bit"?...

-To keep the same chain speed as 7 pin 3/8, I'd have to run an 8 pin with .325. An I could run a 9 pin, but would have to add a link and it's more suited for limbing. Not big wood.

-Problem though, the 361 and 362 use a standard larger sprocket spline and .325 rims only fit a smaller spline (except a 9 pin)?.. Guess this is the reason Stihl switched to 3/8 on the 361 & 362? If this is the case and I can only run a 9 pin with .325, it will not be suitible for my cutting conditions (all around firewood saw in dry hard wood, 14" average size). Plus you cant just walk into the dealer and pick up a standard box of 18" .325 RSC chain. I'd have to find a dealer that has a reel and get it looped with and extra link every time. Not real convenient.

Can someone else verify what Saw Troll said about the only large spline .325 rim is a 9 pin?

Thanks

325 will work on a 60cc saw, most manufactures Dont recomend it

325 and 3/8 are not normally the same size cutter

sawtroll knows what he is talking about, other than that most of this info is BS LMAO some of you guys amaze me

325 will work on a 60cc saw, most manufactures Dont recomend it

325 and 3/8 are not normally the same size cutter

I know on the Stihl website/bar and chain selctor, it only lists 3/8 for the 361.

I compared a loop of 3/8 RSC and a loop of .325 RSC this morning and the cutters look to be exactly the same width. The cutter was taller on the 3/8 and the straps were bigger. That looked to be the only difference....

I know on the Stihl website/bar and chain selctor, it only lists 3/8 for the 361.

I compared a loop of 3/8 RSC and a loop of .325 RSC this morning and the cutters look to be exactly the same width. The cutter was taller on the 3/8 and the straps were bigger. That looked to be the only difference....

country, I dont have a prob with you wanting to try 325 on your saw. I does amaze me all the smoke people are blowing. If stihl rs is the same cutter on 325 and 3/8 it should work. It wont be as strong. I dont like 325 chain myself except on really small saws, in fact I like 3/8 on some 50cc saws. 3/8 is easier to sharpen by hand for me. Most 60 cc saws will come with 3/8 chain though. Also the cutters on oregon 325 are smaller than thier 3/8. Good luck

Yes. Chain manufacturers and distributors will list .325 for use up to 60cc.

Kind of. Depends on the brand of chain. Not the issue that most make it out to be.

.375x7 is typical similar to .325x8. .325x9 has a tiny amount more chain speed than 375x8. .325 chain will be fine on an 18" bar with bar buried. Big wood is 36"+.

361/1135 list .325x9 as the only option because that is the only one that makes sense. There is no reason to use smaller rims on those saws. The dealer that you purchased the saw from should be able to get you chains for it.

Yes

No

Thanks

Good luck.

Thanks Mowood. This whole chain pitch thing seems to have a lot of differing opinions and I appreciate your's as well as everyone Else's. Looks like it's settled and 3/8 it'll be thanks to Saw Troll.

The user manual list the .325x9 as well as 3/8x7 and 8.

It simply is impossible to make a .325x8 that fit the standard (some call it large) 7-spline, the drive tangs would interfer with the splines!
3/8x7 is possible only because the "pin" number is the same as the spline number.

Last edited:
3/8 should be fine, its tougher and easier to maintain.

I am sure there is not alot of real world cutting speed difference between the different setups.

Just keep whatever chain you use sharp!

JustSaws, we posted about the same time. You got me reconsidering and running the 9pin. It just sounds like a lot more trouble down the road though. Special chains, 9 pin .325 rims that won't be in stock ect.

It looks like it's only opinions on what pitch is better. So they must be close to the same or very greatly from different saw to different saw...

It's just been my experience that 3/8 seems to get pinched easier than .325. Maybe that's only because the saw with .325 is my 026 and it's cutting a lot slower and I can see the kerf closing up better than when I'm blasting through the cut with the 441 and 3/8.... So .325 on the 362 would solve my problem anyway. It's not really a problem anyway, just something I like better when running .325 chain, but I have to remember it's not just the chain, it's the whole saw...

The user manual list the .325x9 as well as 3/8x7 and 8.

It simply is impossible to make a .325x8 that fit the standard (some call it large) 7-spline, the drive tangs would interfer with the splines!
3/8x7 is possible only because the "pin" number is the same as the spline number.

Good info Troll. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

The 361 and 362 have been designed by Stihl to run 3/8. You can make it run .325, but not easily like the 360 and older 60cc Stihls, so why do it?
Hopefully they changed to 3/8 as a better design and not a compatibility or cost savings move...

Back