.325 chain on Makita 6421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishNJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I scored a 6421 at home depot for $140. It was "not running" because the salesman couldn't get it started with the switch in the off position [emoji849] popped off with one pull when I got home. [emoji2]. Already gutted the muffler.

Now the question. I have about 10 loops of 81 link .325/.063 chisel chain I want to use. Is there a combination to setup the dolkita to use the chain?

I can get a 20" .063 hard nose bar with the D009 mount. Can't find a sprocket tip in .325.

But for a sprocket I can only get the .325 with 9-pin for a standard SD7 drum. Seems like 9 pins is going to be too much. Any ideas? Can I get a drum with the small spine and run .325-7/8?

Thanks fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.063 chain is a Stihl thing for the most part and their slot for the studs is bigger in 3003 size. Something like a power match bar could have the tip changed even if not listed that way in a catalog. That is if the pitch is the issue not the gauge. There are reducer adapters talked about here. By the time one gets a bar and drive drum which probably isn't out there might just save or trade the chain. My research has found availability of small spline drums for about twice the price (half of what was spent in post 1) for the 70cc or so Husqvarna models.

.325 is not a chain I'd recommend on a saw with that type of power. A hard nose bar will also completely kill the saws performance. You're going to need to invest in an appropriately 3/8 bar and chain combo.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I agree 100%.

Fair enough.
Swing the other way. Big bore kit and 28" b/c?

Lucky bastard!! I've been trying to get my hands on one of those HD saws for a few years now.

Home Depot lists their rental sales the first Monday of the month. It's best to stop in that day. They also have a section on their website that has everything that's for sale listed. I believe you put in a zip code and it shows you everything within 50 miles.

.325 is not a chain I'd recommend on a saw with that type of power. A hard nose bar will also completely kill the saws performance. You're going to need to invest in an appropriate 3/8 bar and chain combo.

Regardless, it isn't practical with a 20" bar, even though Stihl mount bars can be used with an adaptor - as long as no small spline drum can be found. A 9-pin likely would result in a need to have a dl added to the chains + it is likely is too much with a 20" bar.

Regardless, it isn't practical with a 20" bar, even though Stihl mount bars can be used with an adaptor - as long as no small spline drum can be found. A 9-pin likely would result in a need to have a dl added to the chains + it is likely is too much with a 20" bar.

Will a clutch drum from a 5105 or 6100 fit?
Anyone have both to compare?

Fair enough.
Swing the other way. Big bore kit and 28" b/c?

Run that saw the way it is set up like you stole it. Because you did. Then in many years from now when it's time for a rebuild use the bigger cylinder you bought now to upgrade it in the future. Never replace a p/c on a good saw until you beat the devil out of it. Just my opinion and its not worth much.

Just to close this out I put the 54mm kit and caber ring from Northwoods Saw, 0.023" squish no gasket, with a stihl bar adapter from Homelite410 and a 9 pin 0.325 rim. That seemed like a better use of $120 than buying a new bar and chains. I'll keep the 47mm p/c as a spare JIC. All said and done $260 into 84cc. Nice step up from an 036.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any input or analysis or videos on how the cutting is compared to before? Whether it's good or bad at least you tried it your way. Sharing the info and results would be great. I don't think you should close this one out yet.

Never bothered trying the 9 pin with the 47mm kit. Had my heart set on doing the swap after thinking about the best use of the money. I think it rips. Don't have a depth of experience to compare but I had to lay heavy on it to stall the chain and didn't have any issue clearing chips in dry walnut.

It's a farm saw for me. If I didn't have chains and files so deep in 325 I would have stayed 3/8. But I couldn't see letting all that go and reinvesting in 3/8 to keep the saw 64cc. Seemed wiser to use up my existing consumables and put the money into power now and switch to 3/8 when stock is used up.

I'm glad you gave it a go, and it seems to be working for you, which is all that matters. That said, the power of the saw is all but meaningless without a proper chain.

In the wood I cut .325 is not an option on a saw with that type of power, chip clearance is the lesser issue with bars 20" and under, durability is the biggest concern.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Just to close this out I put the 54mm kit and caber ring from Northwoods Saw, 0.023" squish no gasket, with a stihl bar adapter from Homelite410 and a 9 pin 0.325 rim. That seemed like a better use of $120 than buying a new bar and chains. I'll keep the 47mm p/c as a spare JIC. All said and done $260 into 84cc. Nice step up from an 036.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which piston ring did you use? The 1.2 mm or 1.4 mm? And for those of you in the know what are the good RTV options for base gaskets? RTV is about the only brand of gasket maker locally available.

Which piston ring did you use? The 1.2 mm or 1.4 mm? And for those of you in the know what are the good RTV options for base gaskets? RTV is about the only brand of gasket maker locally available.

54x1.2. Seemed to be the match from what I read.
Permatex motoseal

Back