.325 narrow kerf on 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGC4200

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody running this setup?
I am constantly having to deal with dropped limbs and trees
on my small farm. Standard 3/8" is too bouncy for smaller limbs.
I put a 8 tooth .325 rim sprocket & 18" NK bar & chain on Makita DCS 520.
I like the chain speed, just wondering if it would hold up.
Saw is rated @ 3.2 hp, same as Husqvarna 55.

It is a very good set-up on the weaker (like sub 3.5hp) 50cc saws - but try a 7-pin rim unless you just use it to cut small limbs....:givebeer:

The only "problem" is that the NK only comes in semi-chisel, no chisel option....:censored:

Last edited:
I'm running the 20" NK from Bailey's on my 346NE and I like it a lot, good price, small kerf and the bar and chain is a good balance on the saw. I'm no expert, works well for me but I don't do cookies, it just works nice in the woods, saw is still light and nimble in the limbs.

If your bar is 20" it may be a good option also on that saw, but with a shorter (normal) bar the NK chain doesn't do that (strong) saw justice!

:givebeer:

Last edited:
It is a very good set-up on the weaker (like sub 3.5hp) 50cc saws - but try a 7-pin rim unless you just use it to cut small limbs....:givebeer:

The only "problem" is that the NK only comes in semi-chisel, no chisel option....:censored:

Niko THAT saw came factory with either 3/8"-7 or .325"-8 going backwards to a .325"-7 is not needed or recommended this saw is not a low torque husky....

Also stay away from that NK crap unless you feel the need to repair broken chains often..

Scott

real reason for question

I obtained a NK combo from Bailey's and got a 8 pin from Edge & Engine.
The NK chain seems to stretch quickly, maybe Scott is right.

I have a good running Husqvarna 55 & a Makita DCS 520,
the Mak/Dolly or whatever you wanna call them seems to have
more torque.

It looks like I should have used a standard .325 B&C.

I run the NK on my 346 and like it alot. Chains aren't the fastest but they last a long time. I have never broken a chain on this saw or any other I have ever used so I don't know how much of a concern that would be.

Also stay away from that NK crap unless you feel the need to repair broken chains often..

Scott

I am not a fan of them on stronger saws, as they don't do the saw justice - but I never heard of a single .325NK chain that broke (and 95VP/H30 is the most common chain around here).....:monkey::monkey:

Last edited:
I am not a fan of them on stronger saws, as they don't do the saw justice - but I never heard of a single .325NK chain that broke (and 95VP/H30 is the most common chain around here).....:monkey::monkey:

Ive seen too many of those H30's to count broken

Scott

Niko THAT saw came factory with either 3/8"-7 or .325"-8 going backwards to a .325"-7 is not needed or recommended .....

Well - that probabably is bad advice from Dolmar, as even the much stronger 5100S cut faster with .325x7 than with either of those options, even in wood as small as 7" birch, when I tried it out.

Btw, the 346xp was faster than the 5100S with both .325 options, and that surpriced me a bit after all the 5100S hype on here....:monkey::monkey:

As 3/8" didn't do anything for the 5100S, I didn't care to test it on the 346xp.

Anyway, all the differences are too small to count in practical work - this was just for fun! :givebeer:

Last edited:
Well - that probabably is bad advice from Dolmar, as even the much stronger 5100S cut faster with .325x7 than with either of those options, even in wood as small as 7" birch, when I tried it out.

Btw, the 346xp was faster with both .325 options, and that surpriced me a bit after all the 5100S hype on here....:monkey::monkey:

OP was talking Makita DCS520 equal to a Dolmar 111i Not the 5100??? And The .325 on a 5100 does not load the engine enough as you have seen from Brads vids Dolmars like load in a cut not a death grip WOT like husky users do. Brad and others are always suprised that Dolmars cut faster when leaning on them pretty hard

Im sure when you did your 346hypexp challange against witchy's PS5100 you did not lean hard enough on her saw.

Scott

I've been running NK on my Shindaiwa 488 for about a year now - first Oregon chain, then the Carlton/Baileys version.

Very happy with the performance; noticeable change from the regular .325. The Carlton product is head and shoulders over the Oregon chain; much faster cutting and seems to stretch less.

-=[ Grant ]=-

And besides if the OP is cutting small limbs and brushing he is alot more likely to throw a chain with .325" std. or NK than with 3/8" I have seen this scenario over and over and over remember I have probably sold more 111i's here than ANYONE

Grant I'm sure the shinny 488 is fine with NK but that is not the saw in Question..
Niko I don't think the OP mentioned a 346 either he did mention a 55???:monkey::cheers:

Scott

Narrow Kurf is a marketing ploy by Husky to let smaller hp/torque saws run longer bars plain and simple

Husky introduced the NK and had Oregon manufacture it special for them at first

Scott

Grant I'm sure the shinny 488 is fine with NK but that is not the saw in Question..

The OP asked if anyone was running NK on a 50cc saw. I answered the question since I do so. I'm willing to let him decide if my experience fits his criteria.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Scott give up the Husky bashing, it looks bad from some one thats clearly a Dolmar seller....and whats worse is when you bag the Solos that share commonality with Dolmar....thats just plain dumb

The OP never asked for an opinion on saw quality just about .325 v 3/8

IMO .325 is fine on all 50cc saws. yes 3/8th may work and better in SOME cases but there is nothing wrong with .325.....oh and like i said in the other thread, it depends on what your cutting and how....... .325 has been used in speed events here in 12inch REAL hardwood, borecutting and up/down cookie cutting and this on saws upto 75cc, with good results.

like anything there are good and bad chains in every pitch and gauge, by every brand. So picking a good chain is probably more important that pitch regarding the OP's saws and use.

I run .325 on my Husky becasue thats what it came with, my mate runs 3/8th on his 5100s that i got him, becasue thats what it came with....both are great saws and fun to use.

I will be changing the bar on my Husky, but staying with .325

what may aslo be important is if he can run the same bar and chain on both saws to keep things simple. Also whats easily available from his local dealer.

cheers, Serg

Scott give up the Husky bashing, it looks bad from some one thats clearly a Dolmar seller....and whats worse is when you bag the Solos that share commonality with Dolmar....thats just plain dumb

The OP never asked for an opinion on saw quality just about .325 v 3/8

IMO .325 is fine on all 50cc saws. yes 3/8th may work and better in SOME cases but there is nothing wrong with .325.....oh and like i said in the other thread, it depends on what your cutting and how....... .325 has been used in speed events here in 12inch REAL hardwood, borecutting and up/down cookie cutting and this on saws upto 75cc, with good results.

like anything there are good and bad chains in every pitch and gauge, by every brand. So picking a good chain is probably more important that pitch regarding the OP's saws and use.

I run .325 on my Husky becasue thats what it came with, my mate runs 3/8th on his 5100s that i got him, becasue thats what it came with....both are great saws and fun to use.

I will be changing the bar on my Husky, but staying with .325

what may aslo be important is if he can run the same bar and chain on both saws to keep things simple. Also whats easily available from his local dealer.

cheers, Serg

Dolmar Dealer Yes I am, BUT being that I also am a REDMAX Dealer that makes me sort of a Husky Dealer with the husky built G5300 and GZ7000???? And you mentioned Solo Hmmmmmm I am technically a Solo dealer as well But the distribution is really failing to support their product!!

Scott

My opologies to the OP his original question was regarding Narrow Kerf .325. I dont have any experience with NK and clearly got caught up in off track rant about brand v brand and 3/8th over .325.

my advise would be to run a good qauilty .325, no saftey ramps on the drive links....they chatter to much

Serg

Back