.325 or 3/8 on NEW MS260 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I went for it. Picked up a NEW 026 pro today. 18 inch bar as I was satisfied with it on another saw.
This one came with 3/8 chain, and it cuts fairly well. My question for the masters is:

Should I swap it over to the .325?? Would I gain anything? It seems that the 3/8 is "almost" too much for it, granted I have only run it for a few minutes so the motor isn't even close to broke in.

The Jonsered that I am upgrading from is running .325 on a 18' bar, and I was satisfied with it's performance.

Thanks,
-Pat

i only run 3/8" chain on my modified 026/260 saws. these things are really choked down in stock form and would do better with .325 chain. on a stock saw i would save the 3/8 for an 036 or larger.

Ordered more stuff

Since I got such a flood of repies...
I have ordered a .325 bar, sprocket, and a chain or two. All from Baileys.

I will be patient on modifying the muffler of this one, let it prove itself first.
I am not too crazy about the integrated air filter and choke system.... I can't wait until I have to clean it!

:D
-Pat

Muffler mod already?!!!

I was sitting here saw to the left of me, and a cordless drill on the right. Then I did a little search to see what the modified mufflers look like on these things. Then I take off the muffler cover and amaze myself with that pathetic hole that I measured at just a touch over 5/16 inch!!! :ices_rofl:

So..... I look around for a drill bit and figure on drilling 2 more holes.

Mod a saw even before I go out and use it?? What was I thinking!!??

-Pat:yoyo:

The little 026 is so restricted with the filtre arrangement it's a wonder it even runs. Just for the fun of it try runnning one without an airfilter and see how it gets up and talks. 3/8 is the only way to go.
John

Muffler modified

I drilled two more holes 21/64 and it has more of a "bark" :cool: to it now.
I might go larger eventually. I will flog it tomorrow, and see how things behave. I was wondering how well that air breather flows... Looks like factory special design stuff that costs a bunch to replace.

-Pat :chainsaw:

Patrick, be careful, as now it may be running too lean, not a good thing. so you'll need to adjust the carb, which may not be possible to get rich enough within the limitations of the limiter caps. You may need to have a shop readjust the carb.....and reset the caps to center...It is also a good idea to run it a tad rich for the first few tanks....and 40-1 is a little safer than 50-1, though that ratio seems to work for most folks....many of us here prefer full synthetic at 32 to 40-1.

For optimal power, I'd make those two new ports about 1/2 inch i.d., or a tad less, as you do have that insanely small original port...

like the flycatcher?:
TitusFir1.jpg

I (think) I know what I am doing

3 little holes are better than 1. If I need to remove the caps, then that ain't a big deal. As for mix, I run 40:1 anyway. I doubt that it would run lean at 8000 ft, if anything it will be richer.

I opened up the exhaust on the 460 last year and it only needed just a tweak on the high side, I expect this 260 to be the same.

I now have 3 little holes 21/64 in diameter. I am now at .253 of a sq. in. opening. Seems pretty conservative to me. With the factory hole at .085 sq. in.

If I open it up any more it would be to drill all 3 holes to 3/8" giving me .331 sq in. I just calculated your 1/2" holes plus the factory hole at .478 sq. in.

Thanks for the ideas! :D :D
-Pat

Latest posts

Back