.325 or 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
off the roll and used on a stock std MS440 what would be faster ?
stihl super RS .325 round ground full chisel chain or
stihl super RS 3/8 round ground full chisel chain ?

that is std chain off the roll - no sharpening or any mods to saw or chain .....

how big a sprocket you gonna use to drive each? .325 takes a smaller bite but if your saw has torque to spare you can run a bigger rim for it thus a 9t .325 sprocket might take the same as say a 7 or 8 for 3/8 end result is higher chain speed on the .325 but same cut times because the 3/8 will take a bigger bite on each revolution. 1/2 a dozen of one 6 of the other

I would not even consider .325 on a 440...

.325 seems to work well on < 50cc saws.

I don't run .325 on anything I own.

I am at pretty thin ice here, but here is my toughts anyway.

In this case the saw are relatively powerful for the wood in question, which open for larger sprocket like 3/8x8 and .325x9. Those are very close in diameter, and generate pretty much the

Assuming the chain is Stihl RS or RSC, the "bite" that each cutter takes is not significant, and the .325 will have more cutters in the wood at a given time, but also have less room for chip transport.

I would no doubt have chosen 3/8x8, as it is more versatile and faster to charpen, but .325x9 may be slightly faster under the discribed conditions.

You will have to try both options, to find out for sure....:popcorn: :givebeer:

Ill throw my $.04 in here...

My 361 cuts better with 3/8 than it did with .325. Both on a 16" bar. I was running 9 tooth in the .325, and now a 7 tooth on the 3/8.

I dont use that 325 stuff on any saws. Crap to file and even worse to put through ya chain grinder sharpener thingo.

My MS250 runs on 3/8 picco (050 guage) and it's a screamer.

I think those 290,310 and 390's plastic crap saws use that 325 stuff. But I dont have saws in that range, I go from MS250 to Ms440.

Sorry for the late response after I asked you what kinda wood you'd be cuttin'...

I would run 3/8", .050, full skip, round chisel on that 440 in the softwoods. It's all I run on all my saws. I cut mainly softwoods like Doug Fir and Hemlock, with the occasional Alder thrown in there. Hit it with a 7/32" file once in awhile and you'll be happy.

Oh yeah... Welcom to AS Mike T!

Gary

jefeVTtreeman said:
speaking on those chains anyone know what depth to file the rakers?

Im pretty sure Stihl chain comes off the roll at .025. You can take them down a little further if you are running a saw that can handle it. Keep in mind, from a safety standpoint, lower rakers mean a grabbier saw and higher potential for kickback.

Would it be logical to step up to a 3/8 pitch chain on something as small as a Husqy 353?

Would it pull the 18" bar okay?

Curious as to the negative sentiments towards .325 pitch chain...

IchWarriorMkII said:
Would it be logical to step up to a 3/8 pitch chain on something as small as a Husqy 353?

Would it pull the 18" bar okay?

Curious as to the negative sentiments towards .325 pitch chain...
I don't think it would be wise - the 3/8x7 sprocket will be larger than the .325x7, so you will loose torque.

My 026 does good with 3/8 and a 20" bar in average wood to about 14" in diameter. Had an Husky 55 that pooped out trying the same combo,then tried 16" bar 3/8 and did ok. I"ve used .325 7 tooth on some saws and sometimes it increased fuel consumption to the point I was spending to much time adding fuel. I would guess most saws that come stock that way are probably efficient with that combo.
Try 3/8 with a cheap bar chain combo and compare. Can sell it on ebay if it doesn't work good.

Back