.325 or 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brushwacker said:
My 026 does good with 3/8 and a 20" bar in average wood to about 14" in diameter. Had an Husky 55 that pooped out trying the same combo,then tried 16" bar 3/8 and did ok. I"ve used .325 7 tooth on some saws and sometimes it increased fuel consumption to the point I was spending to much time adding fuel. I would guess most saws that come stock that way are probably efficient with that combo.
Try 3/8 with a cheap bar chain combo and compare. Can sell it on ebay if it doesn't work good.

I would think either of those saws would be much faster with .325 and I hav'nt the slightest logical idea of why you think fuel consumption would go up when using it. .325 is generally narrower which means you're removing less wood. What's not to like unless your saw has the power to stretch it? I can't even imagine running a 260 with 20" of 3/8ths but that's just me. My 20" bar is powered by a 036 running 050 .325 Woodsman Pro and 8T rim. It zips.
John.....

whatsnext said:
I would think either of those saws would be much faster with .325 and I hav'nt the slightest logical idea of why you think fuel consumption would go up when using it. .325 is generally narrower which means you're removing less wood. What's not to like unless your saw has the power to stretch it? I can't even imagine running a 260 with 20" of 3/8ths but that's just me. My 20" bar is powered by a 036 running 050 .325 Woodsman Pro and 8T rim. It zips.
John.....
The 7 tooth .325 is much smaller then 7 tooth 3/8 which gears the saw down (like going 4th gear to 3rd gear in a car,run your car in 3rd vs 4th your gas mileage goes down usually.) I experianced this with an 034 super and 028 super. With an 8 tooth .325 is slightly bigger then a 7t 3/8 so it would gear it slightly higher then and you should gain fuel effeciancy provided you have enough power.
I think 3/8 is a little easier to maintain so if my saw does ok with it I use it. As far as a 20" on my 026 , I value my back verses power at my chainsaw bar. Sometimes the wood is'nt big enough to slow the 026 much.If I'm not zippen fast enough, I put on a bigger powerhead.

No timed cutts, But my 026 seems to cut faster in hardwood
and softwood with the 16" 3/8 .063 BC than 16" .325 .063 BC, both with new Stihl RM chain.
I too think it's easier and faster to file. I run the
Stihl RM 3/8 .063 on all my saws from the 026 up, just one little
thing to make it a little more simpler for me. But I would still
like to try some Stihl 3/8 PM PICCO on the 026.

Latest posts

Back