338XPC "California" from Baileys....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeSwede

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have asked about this saw before, but this time I hope for some/even more answers. I have 2 338xpt`s today and think they work well, I also have a MS200 but not the T-version, so I do know how that engine feels...
I have the chance to get it delivered to me by my mother-in-law(!) who´s visiting California next month.
My questions are: Has anyone here used it, what´s it like compared to 338xpt and MS200- more torque thanks to the bigger displacement? Has anyone modded it? What engine is in it? I don´t know any Husky 45cc´s with "only" 2.7 hp.
Grateful for all anwers I can get!

I like my 338 xpc, but I don't climb that much. No more than I climb the price is why I chose it over the Stihl. I drilled a few 1/4" holes in the muffler under the deflector, made a noticible difference in power, and noise.

Andy

Most people tell me that you can't tell the difference between the 39cc and the 45cc version until you get into wood that's 8"-10" dia. or better.

It has lots of torque. It feel like it needs a bigger sprocket. I like it better than my 200.

Really, I have always been a Husky guy, my ms200 is the only turd in the punchbowl but I like it. Almost everything I do is strip and chunk removal, is this Husky much better at cutting blocks?

Really, I have always been a Husky guy, my ms200 is the only turd in the punchbowl but I like it. Almost everything I do is strip and chunk removal, is this Husky much better at cutting blocks?

And finally we come to an agreement...I keep threatening to ditch my 200T and try something else,but cannot find the heart...Lately I've only been using my 200T for pruning and my 346XP for big climbing removals.

Most people tell me that you can't tell the difference between the 39cc and the 45cc version until you get into wood that's 8"-10" dia. or better.

Grande Dog, just out of interest can you swop the 39cc jug & piston for the 45cc version, plus are there any other differences.

Any prices on the 45cc jug & piston or a BB kit???

Last edited:
When the 334 came out I hated it. It was a weak sister. I used polan pro super 25s instead. then i switched to 020 and 200 stihls. They are good saws but they don't transition from low to high very well, are very cold natured, and have a very peaky narrow power band. I wonder if this is a California carborator problem.
The 338 is much smoother and stonger in bigger cuts, but feels like it gives up a little to the 200 on chain speed, wich helps in small cuts.
I want a real chisel chain and a bigger sprocket for mine.

Thanks all...

..for your answers! Question to Grande Dog: If it is a 45cc on it why not make it a 346xp in a 338xp shell? That would satisfy me for the rest of my (treeremoval)life! And do you have bigger sprockets for it like joesawer suggested?

Howdy,
The sprocket issue is no problem Husqvarna has a rim and drum system available. It's part number 537 32 60 02. We don't have an Oregon equivalent
yet, so through Husky, the system will set you back about $25.00USD. The switching from a 39cc to a 45cc is possible. The economic feasibility is the question. Since you would have to change some of the intake system, you would have $220.00 - $250.00 in parts. When you consider the whole saw with 2 bars and 2 chains is $409.95. In my opinion it wouldn't be worth the time. I totally agree if they could mange to stuff the 346's 3.4 HP into the 338 frame, then you'ld definitely have something.
Gregg

Thanks Grande Dog. Your people well be getting a call soon. Now, how about a real full chisel chain, even if it is round ground.

We carry 20RC .325 x .050 full comp., round chisel or 20RCS which is the same thing in full skip. Both are manufactured by Carlton.

Latest posts

Back