339xp carving saw thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of putting my 12" Oregon dime-tip on mine and running 1/4 pitch chain. You might try that setup for a while and see how it goes, but a 1/4 pitch 10-pin balanced rim sprocket is available in small spline, and that is the same size as a 3/8 7-pin rim. Give you higher chain speed and put some nastier claws on that little tigress.

where at? which parts do i need for that to work? (will i need a separate oil pump spline gear thing?

Danzco, Inc. in Washington makes rim sprockets in many configurations, and will even make a custom sprocket for you if you want to drop some serious change on one.

1/4 Pitch

Stock sizes for 1/4 pitch in Oregon small spline are: 9, 10, 11, and 12 tooth. I would stay away from anything larger than 10 tooth because of the increased tendency to throw the chain. Last I checked they were $28, but they supposedly last a lot longer than a cast rim.

They also make a true 3/8"-8 tooth lo-pro rim, which is just a bit larger in diameter than an Oregon 3/8-7. A regular 3/8 rim peens over the backs of the smaller drive links on 3/8 lo-pro chain, expanding them in the bar groove and causing chain overheating and premature bar groove wear. I asked Danzco about making a 3/8-7 tooth for lo-pro, but I need to order about 20 to get the price down. That ain't happening, at least not this week. Quick fix it to grind off the dings and you are good to go again.

All the Danzco rims I've seen come thicker on one side for some reason, and the rivets heads protrude too much on some. A grinder fixes that in a hurry. I have no idea about other saw mods you will need to do on the 339. I haven't investigated it any further because I've been very sick with Lyme Disease and haven't even thought about carving lately.

the original setup had some sort of bushing like thing the chain rode on... i wondered why it wasn't an easier thing to get a hold of (something that would just replace the bushing or something)... in which i just looked for a video on youtube "types of chainsaw sprockets" and the video even confused me more... my 2 saws (stihl ms280, husky 339xp) have totally different types of sprocket systems... the ms280's clutch is inside the saw, or under the bell of the sprocket with no "rim" on it with the sprocket pointing out... the husky 339xp stock sprocket had a bushing type thing and the clutch on the outside...

if i had known to look for just the "rim" i guess... i could have just gotten that as a replacement... then the oil pump gear thing would still work... i should just take pictures to make more sense of my noob talk.

okay... just took the saw all apart, then Right when i got the sprocket/clutch off again i remembered... Duh. the rim sprocket said "Powermate" ... grrr that explains everything (in conjunction with the Oregon chain website)... none-the-less i needed to get it off to get the part number of the powermate to check what ID configuration it had... hmm... well now i feel like a tool. i could have ordered that rim sprocket from that place, saved 10 dollars on the sprocket, didn't have to buy bearing (another 5 dollars + shipping)... had better chain speed... ugh. live and learn i guess...

still going to order the rim sprocket. Bah. (why must they not have a store on their site, can't order till tomorrow...)

thank you for the advice, it's helped tons.

after looking around, and apparently taking my head out of where the sun don't shine, i've noticed baileys STOCKS a 9 tooth 1/4 pitch rim as well(Item # CSR 14), i might just order that one, it's only 5 dollars, i want the felling dog for my 339 as well... wonder why it didn't come with the saw...

Last edited:
Welcome to the arcane world of chainsaw carving, where nothing is the way everybody else says it's supposed to be.:msp_tongue:

3/8 lo-pro on saws meant for regular 3/8, 1/4 pitch chain that they never carried and never will, skinny little carving bars with pointy tips that take odd length chains they don't stock and have to make up special, canola oil instead of bar oil, special sprockets and drums, heavily modified chains that sag down an inch below the bottom of the bar... I can hear the guys in my local saw shop rolling their eyes the minute my truck rolls into their parking lot.

FWIW that 1/4 pitch 9-tooth rim will give you the same basic chain speed as the stock .325 7-tooth. I was just thinking the saw had plenty of power to spare, I was curious how it would run with a faster sprocket on it. You will be perfectly fine, my RedMax 3200 only has an 8-tooth spur sprocket on it and it cuts real nice at the same RPMs as the 339.

I wasn't aware that the 339 came with a felling dog option. Mine didn't have one. It would just reduce the depth you can plunge cut to with the short carving bar, so I'd take mine off even if it had one in the first place.

I like having the dog around because I can use it like an ...anchor to kind of pivot on. Just trying to find my balance so to speak I guess.

This msg was sent using my EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Latest posts

Back