346 OE being built for Adirondackstihl auction update:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troylee

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Saw went to Onan18 and was disassembled, and it was determined that Mastermind was the answer, if the jug is gonna be saved. Joe will be putting new seals and bearings in it, along with all the other disposable parts that a rebuilt saw needs. Ports and such will be massaged and a Total bar will finish out the package. Once we find out if the top end is OK, or if it will see a new NE jug, we will start the auction.

I will try to post frequent updates and give a detailed list of what is being done. But everyone please bear with me as I am a one man band at the dealership I work at (i.e. only technician) and have to keep things moving there. We also lost a parts guy recently so I have been having to help cover the parts desk as well. I will cover all parts and do the cleanup of the cylinder ports but if anyone would like to donate a modded muffler (the original muffler is smashed pretty badly) or to mill the case to set the squish (i really don't like trimming the cylinder base on these, can run into difficulty getting the intake boot to seal) it would be greatly appreciated. As with the items I donated to the raffle I will cover shipping costs to the winner.

Thanks,
Joe

Got the cylinder back from its little excursion to Tennessee today, this is going to be a really nice OE 346. I have a question for the Forum though, would it devalue the saw too much if I used a Meteor piston kit and a NWP muffler? As previously stated the muffler is smashed pretty bad and even at dealer cost an OEM muffler is pricey and an OEM piston is just ridiculous. If the consensus is OEM that is the way I will go, but I would like to save a little money to go towards powder coating.

Thanks,
Joe

@Definitive Dave generously donated a 42mm Meteor to the cause. I contacted him last night about purchasing one and he refused to let me pay for it. Thank you very much Dave, if anybody needs some parts I highly recommend giving Dave a call, great guy to deal with.

OK everyone, here is the plan. When I get the piston from Dave I will do a mock up assembly and measure the squish, then will strip it down to bare cases and send them ( the cases) to a friend of mine in Connecticut that runs a CNC shop. He has graciously agreed to machine the cases to set the squish. Once he is done they are off to go see @glock37 along with the clutch cover for some new shine, then back to me for final assembly.

Thanks,
Joe

Wow this just keeps getting better and better, I may just have to buy this one myself. :surprised3:

Joe

Latest posts

Back