346 OE with a compression release valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mainewoods

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
I did notice the difference in the top cooling fin between the 2 saws, but every IPL I looked at showed the same shape cylinder top fin, like a generic pic of a 346 cylinder. In fact there were no transfer bulges or covers of any kind shown on the cylinder either.

Tor R

Tor R

Addicted to ArboristSite
I did notice the difference in the top cooling fin between the 2 saws, but every IPL I looked at showed the same shape cylinder top fin, like a generic pic of a 346 cylinder.
yes, they dont spend money to picture detail small changes, they never had on any saws.
Those small details are up to us to learn.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I did notice the difference in the top cooling fin between the 2 saws, but every IPL I looked at showed the same shape cylinder top fin, like a generic pic of a 346 cylinder. In fact there were no transfer bulges or covers of any kind shown on the cylinder either.

Generic is exactly what a lot of the illustrations in IPLs are.

mainewoods

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Is there a Jonsered cylinder that fits on a 346 and would be worth the swap? Just for future reference. At first I thought that might have been a possibility on this saw.

mainewoods

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
That is by no means meant in a bad way. I used Jonsereds a lot in the seventies, and put a lot of wood on the ground with them when we were cutting pulp for the paper mills. Damn fine saw!:)

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Is there a Jonsered cylinder that fits on a 346 and would be worth the swap? Just for future reference. At first I thought that might have been a possibility on this saw.

Yes, as the Jonsered saws have been a version of a Husky model for a while (gradual development about from 1982 to 2003).

2147 = 346xp 45cc/42mm
2153 = 346xp 50cc/44.3mm
2152 = 353 (52cc/45mm)
2149 = 351 (49cc/44mm - mostly open port, but at least a few late 2149 closed port, made the same way as the 353 cylinder).

The top ends interchange between all those models, and the plastic cased 350/2150 as well (originally 49cc/44mm open port, EPA version 52cc/45mm closed port with "dished" piston top).
The 44.3mm cylinders aren't a straight bolt on on the 350/2150, but it is a very simple job - basically a little grinding inside the case (to make room for the large transfer bulges) and finding the right bolts.
All the top ends can be put on the 340/2141 and 345/2145 as well in the same way as on the 350/2150, with the addition of some 350/2150 parts.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
So the 2147- 53 - 52 are all closed port, flat top piston interchanges, correct? Direct bolt on ? ( sorry if you have been asked this before).

Yes, 2147,2149,2150,2152,2153 is direct bolt on.

Depends on what you want to bolt them on of course! :lol:

If it is a 346xp, the answer is yes to all - but if you want them there is another question!

Tor R

Tor R

Addicted to ArboristSite
Depends on what you want to bolt them on of course! :lol:

If it is a 346xp, the answer is yes to all - but if you want them there is another question!
good point, I took it as granted that he wanted to bolt them on 346 case :) with the prices they have in US nowadays it would be kinda retarded to buy anything else then an NE C&P for an 346 case ;)
Speaking about cylinder difference and how to spot what is what I've probleby learned more by googling pictures compared to read on chainsaw forums lol

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
good point, I took it as granted that he wanted to bolt them on 346 case :) with the prices they have in US nowadays it would be kinda retarded to buy anything else then an NE C&P for an 346 case ;)
Speaking about cylinder difference and how to spot what is what I've probleby learned more by googling pictures compared to read on chainsaw forums lol

Google often is helpful - but as always, don't assume everything you read, see or hear is true. ;)

mainewoods

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
I wasn't thinking of putting a Jonsered p/c on the 346. I was wondering, originally, if maybe a Jonsered might be what is on it. If I had a J cylinder laying around, in good shape, I might have put it on. Possibly someone else thought the same thing. I think you fellers have proven that idea wrong.

Tor R

Tor R

Addicted to ArboristSite
Google often is helpful - but as always, don't assume everything you read, see or hear is true. ;)
agree, but for those who want to learn all small details it take alot research and reading to see them.
I know you know alot when it goes to JRed/Huskies but you have worked for your knowledge ;) I dont think many realize that fact :)

Tor R

Tor R

Addicted to ArboristSite
I wasn't thinking of putting a Jonsered p/c on the 346. I was wondering, originally, if maybe a Jonsered might be what is on it. If I had a J cylinder laying around, in good shape, I might have put it on. Possibly someone else thought the same thing. I think you fellers have proven that idea wrong.
JRed and Husky is pretty much the same saw, colour, front handle bar, chain brake handle and a few other small things are the different.
Husky always release a new model first, JRed comes later, most times they have sorted out the baby sickness by that time
Even I prefer Huskies vs JReds it's easier for me to get JRed parts where I live.

mainewoods

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
agree, but for those who want to learn all small details it take alot research and reading to see them.
I know you know alot when it goes to JRed/Huskies but you have worked for your knowledge ;) I dont think many realize that fact :)

+1 on that. I can only imagine how much work it took, considerable would be an understatement!

Latest posts