346 XP vs. 550 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazz3ring

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a mint 346 XP but am intrigued with the 550 XP because of auto tune and rev boost.

I am wondering the pros and cons (handling, power, weight) of the two saws especially from people who have ran the two side by side. I have not run a 550.

Would I gain much going to the 550?

I am considering having the saw ported in the future. Does one port better than the other?

Both good saws. I've owned both ported, most here prefer the 550 and in my opinion it is a better running saw. Me personally prefer the 346 due to its rawness.

I'm running both, this is splitting hairs but the 550 is smaller lighter and more nimble in my opinion heck the 550 is about the same size as my ms241... I use the ported 346 with a 20 inch 78dl .325 for climbing and bucket work. The 550 wears a 18. I do like the on off controls better on the 550 and the flippy caps and clutch cover... if both were still sold I'd still buy em both what bar are you going to use? Got my 346 in 2009 and 550 weeks after they came out both great saws...

I plan on using an 18" bar on it.

Is the power head plus handle longer on the 550 compared to the 346?

I thought that when I looked at a 550 on the shelf and Brad's video pictures seem to confirm that a bit.

I plan on using an 18" bar on it.

Is the power head plus handle longer on the 550 compared to the 346?

I thought that when I looked at a 550 on the shelf and Brad's video pictures seem to confirm that a bit.
Yes, I believe the 550 is little longer.

I wouldn't replace any of my 346s' with a 550, but if needed another 50cc I'd sure give a 550 a go... It's all good!

If you have saws that are mint, it doesn't really matter much if they are ported, or 261CM's or 550 XP's, or 346XP's really. You won't be using them enough to fully appreciate or need them. Once you have a few miles, then think about porting. Otherwise, it's just CAD - which means it doesn't matter what others think - just go and buy and port things to your heart's desire and be happy having shiny ported things.

There isn't enough in it for me to replace my flogged out OE346 with a 550.
When it dies, I'll have no qualms walking into a shop and buying a 550. Who knows, there might even be a replacement for the 550 by then! LOL.

I think a stock 545/2252 is as strong as a stock 346xp. It is certainly more refined. That being said, I sold mine to get 346xp ported. I prefer the 346xp ported or not. Maybe the next Gen auto tune will Change my opinion.

For those of you that own both or have run both side by side, does the 550 really "feel lighter" and "handle better" than the 346?

To me, the pictures seem to show the 550 being a bit larger in size than the 346.

I think I need to take my 346 in to my local shop and handle the two side by side.

For those of you that own both or have run both side by side, does the 550 really "feel lighter" and "handle better" than the 346?

To me, the pictures seem to show the 550 being a bit larger in size than the 346.

I think I need to take my 346 in to my local shop and handle the two side by side.
I can't tell any difference in weight, but the 550 might fell a little better in the hands. Splittin hairs here though. Why not just get a 550 and run em both?

Latest posts

Back