346xp carb help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunfish

Fish Head
Reaction score
Was the Walbro carb on the OE 345xp a problem, like on the 359/357?

Guess I talked up my old 346 too much lately, lol, haha.:D After many years of trouble free service, now it wont idle very good, hard to start. I had to turn the idle down a while back, figured it was because of the MM. Now it idles high right out of the cut for a few seconds, then drops, then after 8-10 seconds will die. I dissembled and cleaned the carb, richened the L screw and it does not die now, but idle is up and down. Runs good in the cut, but still not right. Been running it hard lately, almost ever day for a month, this problem started a couple days ago.

My first thought was a vacuum leak, but it acts like a carb problem. Should I get a walbro carb kit for it, or just get a new Zama carb? Or? Are the NE /OE carbs interchangeable?

Also, do I need to pull the cylinder up to get the intake boot off? That thing is on there tight.

Any help will be much appreciated. :cheers:

Thanks. I should do a leak test to rule that out first. Can I pull a vacuum on the impulse line, after blocking the intake and exhaust ports?

Thanks. I should do a leak test to rule that out first. Can I pull a vacuum on the impulse line, after blocking the intake and exhaust ports?

Hows the fuel line? Pretty common for them to crack right where it comes out of the tank. I caught the one on my 350 before it started leaking.

What is the compression on your 346xp? If it's low will be hard to start won't want to idle.

Compression is good, no gauge but I can tell. P&C look new.

stumpyshusky
Hows the fuel line? Pretty common for them to crack right where it comes out of the tank. I caught the one on my 350 before it started leaking.

Hey Stumpy, I almost called you today. Maybe I can run down there first of next week. I replaced the line last year and usually get 3 years out of them, but guess I should pull it and check.

Any thoughts on the Walbro carb?

Thanks,

Compression is good, no gauge but I can tell. P&C look new.

Hey Stumpy, I almost called you today. Maybe I can run down there first of next week. I replaced the line last year and usually get 3 years out of them, but guess I should pull it and check.

Any thoughts on the Walbro carb?

Thanks,

Not sure on the carb. Give me a hollar if you don't figure it out. We can swap carbs to make sure.

Well, Friday, I told my dealer to put my name on the last 346xp he had. Now my old 346 runs perfect :dizzy: Never fails, have had this happen with trucks and other stuff. Maybe just had crap in the carb? Will still do a leak test and check it over good.

Stumpy, I'll probably run by your place tomorrow after I pick up the new saw. :)

Well, Friday, I told my dealer to put my name on the last 346xp he had. Now my old 346 runs perfect :dizzy: Never fails, have had this happen with trucks and other stuff. Maybe just had crap in the carb? Will still do a leak test and check it over good.

Stumpy, I'll probably run by your place tomorrow after I pick up the new saw. :)

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Great now I won't be able to sleep tonight nowing I get to play with a virgin 346xp tomarrow.:clap::greenchainsaw:
Got a good sized pine log set up & ready to cut. Can't wait.

A Mini GTG it is then :hmm3grin2orange:

You got one of those 288s' running for me to try out?

A Mini GTG it is then :hmm3grin2orange:

You got one of those 288s' running for me to try out?

A big 10-4 on the 288. We can take it down to that big oak we played on with the 3120 & 084. I got plenty to cut, two big trees behind the house I need to drop. Plenty of wood that needs noodlein.

A big 10-4 on the 288. We can take it down to that big oak we played on with the 3120 & 084. I got plenty to cut, two big trees behind the house I need to drop. Plenty of wood that needs noodlein.

Cool...

Wait a minute, sounds like you want to put me to work! ;)

That's OK, I actually like chainsaw work :D

Lookin forward to it! See ya in the morning.

Well, the old 346xp is fine, no air leaks. Seems cleaning the carb was the first step, then I just needed a little help getting it tuned right. Thanks, Stumpy!!!

I'll start a thread on the new 346xp and cuttin with Stumpy. That 288 is a killer :pumpkin2:

Well, the old 346xp is fine, no air leaks. Seems cleaning the carb was the first step, then I just needed a little help getting it tuned right. Thanks, Stumpy!!!

I'll start a thread on the new 346xp and cuttin with Stumpy. That 288 is a killer :pumpkin2:

No problem Don. Thanks for commin over, I had a blast.

Latest posts

Back