346XP Clones???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J D

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The 346 was such a highly rated saw in it's day, I would've thought at least one of the "knock off" companies would be making a clone... but there don't appear to be any. Am I missing something... is there a reason?

The zenoah 5800/6200 clones (really 54cc) are close to it power/weight wise so if they started making a 346 clone they'd sell less zenoah clones which are already making them money.

The 346 was such a highly rated saw in it's day, I would've thought at least one of the "knock off" companies would be making a clone... but there don't appear to be any. Am I missing something... is there a reason?

I have wondered the same thing. I asked hutzl via email but got no response.

They do plenty of 353 style cylinders- maybe disguised as for the 350- but 45mm with screwed down transfer covers.
The last of the 350's with the purge valve ran 353 cylinders with a dished piston- so guessing that is what they are aiming at.

The 346XP? One other company cloned and knocked it off..... Jonsered 2147! :p

I was really hoping they were out there & someone was going to point out what I was so obviously missing.
I really wish there was a clone as (asides from wanting one to tinker with myself) I have a situation where the "supported" saw for training purposes is the 346XP so I'd like to get my hands on some equivalent but somewhat more expendable saws with as close to the same layout as possible.
At this point I'm thinking that refurbing a few 345/350's is probably my best bet (maybe even a 2145/2150 just for @Bob Hedgecutter)

They do plenty of 353 style cylinders- maybe disguised as for the 350- but 45mm with screwed down transfer covers.
The last of the 350's with the purge valve ran 353 cylinders with a dished piston- so guessing that is what they are aiming at.

The 346XP? One other company cloned and knocked it off..... Jonsered 2147! :p
Yeah, there were so many saws in that time period that would take a 346xp cylinder. Not too far off power wise either. Don't think I'd be too worried about a clone yet.

I know it’s not a clone, but I thought @Robin Wood was selling oem 353 up until recently. Not sure if they (Husqvarna)?stopped production, or what the situation was.
Last list we done with him on my group the 353 wasnt there a few months ago.

Stihl
ms260 brazil 600 usd shipped
ms361 and 382 usd 850
Ms660 nos usd 1,500
070 usd 1,600
Husky
61 Aug 2023 usd 800 shipped
372xp OE as of July 2023 usd 900 or 1700 for pair
288xp and 390xp usd 1,250
395xp usd 1,350
3120xp usd 1,600
Echo
Cs1201 usd 1,850
Price includes delivery to anywhere in lower 48.
The plane shipping should cost close to 200 alone I would guess anymore.

I was really hoping they were out there & someone was going to point out what I was so obviously missing.
I really wish there was a clone as (asides from wanting one to tinker with myself) I have a situation where the "supported" saw for training purposes is the 346XP so I'd like to get my hands on some equivalent but somewhat more expendable saws with as close to the same layout as possible.
At this point I'm thinking that refurbing a few 345/350's is probably my best bet (maybe even a 2145/2150 just for @Bob Hedgecutter)
Supported saw for training? You telling me Sappers learn on 346's?
Finding workable 346's here is not that easy- nor cheap. Easier to find 353's and if you have to maybe import an OEM cylinder kit in 346XP if still viable.
345/350- kind of the same- but not. For tinkering and learning about a mag cased bolt down cylinder saw- why cheap out on the plastic dark side?
Sometimes a 2152 will crop up here and be generally a lot cheaper to start with- they are Jonsered answers to 353's.

Last list we done with him on my group the 353 wasnt there a few months ago.

Stihl
ms260 brazil 600 usd shipped
ms361 and 382 usd 850
Ms660 nos usd 1,500
070 usd 1,600
Husky
61 Aug 2023 usd 800 shipped
372xp OE as of July 2023 usd 900 or 1700 for pair
288xp and 390xp usd 1,250
395xp usd 1,350
3120xp usd 1,600
Echo
Cs1201 usd 1,850
Price includes delivery to anywhere in lower 48.
The plane shipping should cost close to 200 alone I would guess anymore.
So that's why a guy asked me how to find RW today, literally, around lunch time.
Now I want one, too. I know what model he is eyeballing in that list.

Supported saw for training? You telling me Sappers learn on 346's?
Finding workable 346's here is not that easy- nor cheap. Easier to find 353's and if you have to maybe import an OEM cylinder kit in 346XP if still viable.
345/350- kind of the same- but not. For tinkering and learning about a mag cased bolt down cylinder saw- why cheap out on the plastic dark side?
Sometimes a 2152 will crop up here and be generally a lot cheaper to start with- they are Jonsered answers to 353's.
The current in service saw is the 572XP, but we're looking for something a bit smaller & more cost effective to have "parked" for some basic training & events like the cyclone that blew through Hawkes Bay. Basically it's a lot easier for us to use equipment that is or has previously been approved & is "in the system". Expendables will have a part number & be sourcable through our system. Service & maintenance doc's & checklists are already available etc. It's not a must, but it definitely makes things easier if equipment is either in the system or basically the same as something that is. The 346XP was one of the saws our fire fighters kept on the truck so thats the main appeal for something the same or very similar

The current in service saw is the 572XP, but we're looking for something a bit smaller & more cost effective to have "parked" for some basic training & events like the cyclone that blew through Hawkes Bay. Basically it's a lot easier for us to use equipment that is or has previously been approved & is "in the system". Expendables will have a part number & be sourcable through our system. Service & maintenance doc's & checklists are already available etc. It's not a must, but it definitely makes things easier if equipment is either in the system or basically the same as something that is. The 346XP was one of the saws our fire fighters kept on the truck so thats the main appeal for something the same or very similar

Just go borrow one off the fire trucks then? :laugh:
Like when I was a kid around Tekapo and picked up a few L1A1 magazines in the bush around the Western edge of the lake- bet whoever returned without them was not popular.

If it is for yourself to tinker on- 353 be an easier find here in the general public.
Willing to bet the NZDF has more 346's by the sound than there are running free in the wild.

Just go borrow one off the fire trucks then? :laugh:
Like when I was a kid around Tekapo and picked up a few L1A1 magazines in the bush around the Western edge of the lake- bet whoever returned without them was not popular.

If it is for yourself to tinker on- 353 be an easier find here in the general public.
Willing to bet the NZDF has more 346's by the sound than there are running free in the wild.
The magazines used to pretty much be expendable... L1A1 was before my time but with the Styer they were everywhere, unaccountable & less than $20 if you were unfortunate enough to have to pay for your replacements. Boy how times have changed recently.
I honestly don't know how many or even if the firies still have the 346's. Some of the issues we found, particularly with the events around Auckland was a lack of available equipment like chainsaws to equip the TF. No doubt the gear is there, but if it's not being held within your unit it's usually impractical to get your hands on it at short notice when you need it.

The magazines used to pretty much be expendable... L1A1 was before my time but with the Styer they were everywhere, unaccountable & less than $20 if you were unfortunate enough to have to pay for your replacements. Boy how times have changed recently.
I honestly don't know how many or even if the firies still have the 346's. Some of the issues we found, particularly with the events around Auckland was a lack of available equipment like chainsaws to equip the TF. No doubt the gear is there, but if it's not being held within your unit it's usually impractical to get your hands on it at short notice when you need it.

That does not just apply to chainsaws in the NZDF!

There's still 353 and 346 saws around, just have to look for them. A shop near me had a decent 353 sitting on a shelf for $250 and it sat there for quite a while. I had a mint 346 up until a few months ago when someone wanted it more than I did so I sold it, but not for $250 though..

There's still 353 and 346 saws around, just have to look for them. A shop near me had a decent 353 sitting on a shelf for $250 and it sat there for quite a while. I had a mint 346 up until a few months ago when someone wanted it more than I did so I sold it, but not for $250 though..
Yes, but your shops are not in the same area as myself and the OP.
Not in the same country even- Heck, not even the same Hemisphere! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back