346xp?? Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know that last of the old 45cc models came with a cat. Interesting.

Husky changes cat mufflers off and on through the years, seemingly without reason. For example, I have a 45cc 346 made in 2005 with no cat. I am using a 346 NE that came with a cat/green gas cap that was produced in 2006. I have seen two recent 346 NE's from 2009 production with no cat/green gas cap sitting on dealer shelves. Hmmm.

Yes, I can't figure out the ryme or reason to cat or noncat either. I recently purchased a NE produced in 2009 with no cat. That one OE produced in 2006 is the only OE's that I've seen with a cat muffler. Maybe that makes sense a little where your 2006 NE came with a cat muffler. During the switch in 2006 from OE to NE at some point both were getting cat mufflers.

Yes, I can't figure out the ryme or reason to cat or noncat either. I recently purchased a NE produced in 2009 with no cat. That one OE produced in 2006 is the only OE's that I've seen with a cat muffler. Maybe that makes sense a little where your 2006 NE came with a cat muffler. During the switch in 2006 from OE to NE at some point both were getting cat mufflers.

I suspect that 2006 model originally had a non cat mufler and was swapped with a newer model to satisfy a customer.

I'd guess it's a fleet emissions thing. If they made all the 346xps without cat, they'd probably have to lose it or another saw to meet the overall emissions restrictions. If they made them all WITH the cat, they'd lose sales. I reckon they're doing their best.

Regarding the OP, if it's a new dealer in a new (especially remote) area, he may not know the difference himself, and may not have the NE. At one time the local dealer had both, and there are guys working there who wouldn't know or care which was which.

Jack

I have never owned or run either of the 346 versions, but I have read up on them on this site because I would like to have a 346XP.

So keep that in mind when reading this post.

There might be time when a pre EPA saw would be desirable.

If I were buying today and was offered the older version or the newer version, I would pick up the older one.

Why, well people on here have said that it is a little lighter, so that"s why we want in a limb saw, and no EPA mandated crap. That would make my decision easy.

But your buddy has to make his own decision.:cheers:

Reguardless of whether or not it's a good saw, you were sold old stock. As good as the old version is, the new one is stronger.

:agree2:

Talking about the cat vs. non cat models I think both are made all the time. Here it is only available with a cat in the XPG version so there are three different options: non cat and non G - non cat and with G - with cat with G but you have to pay extra for the cat! The majority of forestworkers usually choose their saw with heated handles and with the cat muffler. .

I think I have read something here about the reason for the new edition being just over 50cc was to avoid some sort of regulation from EUII/EPA?

I suspect that 2006 model originally had a non cat mufler and was swapped with a newer model to satisfy a customer.

That was the only 346 that store ever got. I went when they opened (early 2007) and looked at what they had to offer. Noticed the cat muffler and green gas cap on it then. Offered a new noncat muffler (free) to them to put on it, but they didn't want to mess with it. Saw set there until summer 2009 when the store shutdown and saws were sent to other dealers. This place didn't care about saw sales they just were interested in the mowers. I would come in there and help out with saws and try to give them advice on moving some product, but fell on deaf ears.

In my experiences of picking up and handling saws, the 346XP OE is lighter, more nimble, easier to handle and easier on my back than the bigger and heavier 346XP NE.

The Old Edition 346XP, (instead of the New Edition) might not be the dealer's fault. Dealers located in remote, thinly-populated areas are often controlled or limited by the inventory available at their nearest warehouse. Thinly populated areas don't move inventory as fast as more populated areas.

Chainsaws stocked at dealers typically come equipped with OEM safety chain. The saw will cut much faster with non-safety chain.

Some of the last produced 346XP OE had a cat muffler. A dealer in area had one made in 2006 that was still on his shelf in 2009. It had the green gas cap and cat muffler. Looked at it several times, but couldn't get dealer to budge much on price even though it was a discontinued model and several years old.

WoodViking is right, they always made both a cat and a non-cat version - what was/is offered on the different markets is another story.....:givebeer:

Last edited:
Ok

Well thanks guys appreciate all the info as usual. Ok new situation same old game to keep it or not to keep it. The husky guy up here felt bad for making him go through this whole situation and has offered to order the new one for him and swap it out 346xp 45cc for the346xp 50.1cc what should he do? keep the old one or swap it out for the new one? He wanted me to consult the experts again. Trade or not to Trade? :greenchainsaw:

@ms46021:

Take a look at WoodVikings signature! He already has the newer 346 - but is still looking to find the older one in Jonsered colors (Jonsered 2147 is identical to the older Husqvarna 346). Take it as proof for that the older one is a good saw too, and I personally chosed the older one (in Jonsered colors) because I wanted the lightest saw of the two.

For what you said your friend is going to cut I even think it seems to be the best choice of the two!

Then there's the question if he got a fair price on it. If both models were in stock it's probably resonable that he payed a little less, or at least was informed about the existance of the new model at the same price. If it was the only model in stock, then he simply paid the right price for what the dealer offered.

Last edited:
I got lucky when I bought my 346ne. It was the non-cat version. Every one since at my dealer has been cat models. I would of made a quick exchange of the muffler if I would of got a cat model. And a carburetor adjustment. I paid $439.00 for my 346ne. Old edition 346 has 45cc and 3.4 hp. New edition has 50.1cc and is 3.7hp.

Last edited:
@ms46021:

Take a look at WoodVikings signature! He already has the newer 346 - but is still looking to find the older one in Jonsered colors (Jonsered 2147 is identical to the older Husqvarna 346). Take it as proof for that the older one is a good saw too, and I personally chosed the older one (in Jonsered colors) because I wanted the lightest saw of the two.

For what you said your friend is going to cut I even think it seems to be the best choice of the two!

+1 - I'd keep the 45cc model, as it is a great saw and perfect for the use that you described.

My vote is trade, see if you can get the non-etech(etech=cat.) I can't imagine it feeling that much lighter and with alittle more grunt it can do heavier work when called upon.

I asked my AD about the etech model and he suggested that it might be a 50 state version vs. a 49 state(sans Collyfornia) version non-etech, food for thought as he said he orders/stocks the non-etechs:cheers:

ok well lets say he wanted to buck and down bigger diamenter trees not just for limbing and smaller trees he does the final touches on the trees before they go on to the truck would you guys then suggest the new edition or still the old he just doesn't want to get stuck with a inferior saw or the least powerful saw. and he's just freaking out and keeps telling me that he should have stuck with a stihl :chainsaw:

Last edited:
ok well lets say he wanted to buck and down bigger diamenter trees not just for limbing and smaller trees he does the final touches on the trees before they go on to the truck would you guys then suggest the new edition or still the old he just doesn't want to get stuck with a inferior saw or the least powerful saw. and he's just freaking out and keeps telling me that he should have stuck with a stihl :chainsaw:

your sig says you have a 346, is it OE or NE? If it's a NE let him try it. If Stihlheads are willing to admit it's the best 50cc out there then it's worth alittle hassle:cheers:

95% of my experience is with the NE model. I might at that it is quite anemic with a cat muffler. It has no guts at all. If you're running a NE 346 with a cat muffler, you really have no idea at the power most of us are referring to. I found stock cat model stalls very easy in the cut, with out much torque. Simply replacing the muffler with a non cat one made a huge difference, making the saw no longer anemic. Mod that muffler and the saw really wakes up. Even though I'm used to ported saws, I could be quite happy with just a muffler modded NE 346XP. Of course, porting it turns it into a rabid beast:)

Well, Stihl doesn't made any 50cc model worth mentioning on the same "page" as the 346xp......:givebeer:

Oe ne

If your 346 has the orange clutch cover, tell him to keep the OE that he has, otherwise he'll have a faster more powerful saw than you do.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back