346XP leaking bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am not some kind of neat freak, a little anal retentive maybe but not compulsive nuerotic.:msp_unsure:

I bought a 346XP in about Febuary. The saw hasn't been used much and have about 10 tanks of fuel through it. The saw starts and runs great. After it had sat probably 3 months in a Husky power box I picked it up and discovered that not only had it leaked a bunch of bar oil into the case, it even ran out of the case onto shelving. After cleaning that up, I placed two layers of cardboard under the saw in the case. In about 3 weeks the cardboard was so saturated the cardboard would not absorb anymore. After that I placed two shop rags under it and in 2 weeks they were saturated.

I called the saw shop and the owner who I bought it from was not in, (this guy treated me excellent in the past and gave me what I considered a good price). A minion who answered the phone said, "sometimes they just do that". I am going to call back and speak with the owner.

I understand a saw will leak some bar oil. But my 20 year old Stihl 028 Doesn't make a mess nor does my Makita 6401.

What say all knowing chainsaw aficionados?

I just hope the Saw Troll doesn't smite me for making disparaging comments about the 346XP.:sword::chainsawguy:

Yep, take it back, instead of cleaning up the leaks, just empty the oil tank.

Temp changes can build pressure in the tank, this can push oil out. You can burp the oil cap right before you put the saw up, may help.

All mine leak a little, but not much.

Temp changes can build pressure in the tank, this can push oil out. You can burp the oil cap right before you put the saw up, may help.

Actually the minion at the saw shop said exactly that, to "burp" the oil cap because the alloy case transmits heating building pressure.

Today the weather was crappy, and I took it apart and cleaned it up. Every time I sat the saw down on the bench 2-3 drops of oil was left behind in mere minutes.

I just hope the Saw Troll doesn't smite me for making disparaging comments about the 346XP.:sword::chainsawguy:

No reason to "fear" that.

Even if bar oil leaking is normal, there could also be someting that is not right, so let the dealer take a look at it. This sounds like it is leaking more than what I would call "normal".......

My 372xp started doing the exact same thing after about 10 tanks. I called the Husqvarna dealer and they said before I put it away to blow out the clutch area with blow gun and run saw at full throttle for a few seconds then shut off and burp the filler cap. Well I am happy to say that this solved the problem but am not always near an air compressor and blow gun so I just run it at full throttle for a few seconds when I am finished and make sure it is oiling then shut off and burp the oil filler lid and it has seemed to not make a BP oil disaster in my saw case since.

Yes, but there also can be some accumulated oil under the clutch cover, in the bar mount area, causing oil to drip.

My 372xp started doing the exact same thing after about 10 tanks. I called the Husqvarna dealer and they said before I put it away to blow out the clutch area with blow gun and run saw at full throttle for a few seconds then shut off and burp the filler cap. Well I am happy to say that this solved the problem but am not always near an air compressor and blow gun so I just run it at full throttle for a few seconds when I am finished and make sure it is oiling then shut off and burp the oil filler lid and it has seemed to not make a BP oil disaster in my saw case since.

I can see the reason to blow the accumulated oil/sawdust out of the saw, but don't see the reason to run the saw prior to burping the oil filler and putting it away.

I can see the reason to blow the accumulated oil/sawdust out of the saw, but don't see the reason to run the saw prior to burping the oil filler and putting it away.

:agree2:

Imo, it just creates more oil spill under the clutch cover! :msp_wink:

:agree2:

Imo, it just creates more oil spill under the clutch cover! :msp_wink:

Exactly! Running the saw just would make the oiler dump out more oil that isn't carried away with wood chips and heat up the saw chassis. However if you put it away warm after letting any accumulated pressure out, wouldn't that then creat a vacum?

Exactly! Running the saw just would make the oiler dump out more oil that isn't carried away with wood chips and heat up the saw chassis. However if you put it away warm after letting any accumulated pressure out, wouldn't that then creat a vacum?

Yes, there should be a vacuum as the saw cools, but the tank vent should equalize that. My two 346's drip a little, but I'm pretty sure it just from the crud in the clutch cover. Mine are stored in my shop, which has a fairly constant temp. If the saws get real cold, then warm up, this can build pressure in the tank and force oil out.

It is and always has been a husky trait, almost like a harley only the huskys run and last. All of mine leak a little except the 346 and thats because there is no oil in it yet. If it drains the tank then you have a problem!! CJ

I got mine just a little after yours and it started doing the same thing after 6-8 tanks or so but not as bad. It has yet to overflow the powerbox (and I've yet to clean up the powerbox so what's in there is the total accumulation). My old Husky 50 leaks a litte too and my old J-red 2050 leaked more than the 346. I know both saws need to be cleaned out better so I'll do that and see what happens. Sounds like your 346 is leaking more than mine so I'd keep a close eye on it and if it doesn't get better with a cleaning and burping I'd take it in to see if the dealer sees anything wrong. Good luck!

Depends on what you call a leak.

Just about everything will drip some oil. This is acceptable if we are only talking residual oil from being used. Lack of cleaning, having the oiler set on max when cutting smaller wood will all contribute to this. Guys that keep their saws in a case always seem to have the thing swimming in oil because every drop of oil stays in the case. (Pet peeve: Customers bring saws in like that and I'll of course work on the saw but I will NOT clean anyones carrying case.)

But if the puddle under a saw is clearly way more than could be explained by residual dripping, then we have a leak, and a leak can be dealt with. Just had a 346 with the same problem the OP experienced. The oil pick up line wasn't sealing properly against the tank. Replaced the line and the problem went away. 357/359's were known for this early on. The line was redesigned to seal better.

Another thing I've noticed is that some saws will never leak a drop of oil sitting in the shop, but set them in the sun or truck cab with a full oil tank and they will push out some oil. Don't know of a solution to this other than avoiding baking them in the sun and or not putting the saw away with a full tank.

Just about everything will drip some oil. This is acceptable if we are only talking residual oil from being used. Lack of cleaning, having the oiler set on max when cutting smaller wood will all contribute to this. Guys that keep their saws in a case always seem to have the thing swimming in oil because every drop of oil stays in the case. (Pet peeve: Customers bring saws in like that and I'll of course work on the saw but I will NOT clean anyones carrying case.)

But if the puddle under a saw is clearly way more than could be explained by residual dripping, then we have a leak, and a leak can be dealt with. Just had a 346 with the same problem the OP experienced. The oil pick up line wasn't sealing properly against the tank. Replaced the line and the problem went away. 357/359's were known for this early on. The line was redesigned to seal better.

Another thing I've noticed is that some saws will never leak a drop of oil sitting in the shop, but set them in the sun or truck cab with a full oil tank and they will push out some oil. Don't know of a solution to this other than avoiding baking them in the sun and or not putting the saw away with a full tank.

Spike60's contributions are always well worth reading! :clap::clap::clap:

Mine don't leak as bad as what you described, but one of them leaks more than the other two. They usually leave a little oil stain on the bench. That's true what Spike said about the cases - I don't know if it's from being bounced around in the truck or atv, but they seem to leak more when the're in their cases & I clean both my cases about once a week when I'm cutting.

Good post, accurate on all points. I too run into the saw in the case and the case bottom covered in oil. Seems to happen alot more in the summer as well. I think those plastic saw cases build up heat just like a car with the windows up in. Heat builds up pressure in the oil tank and out comes oil. I tell my customers if your going to store it in a case make sure you keep it in a cool place. Far as leaks in general about the only saws I've seen that do not leak a single drop are the ones with a empty oil tank.

Good post Spike!!

Latest posts

Back