346XP needs replaced....it's at 90 PSI, what saw is comparable today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now the holy grail for me is a old Stihl 026 that I borrowed from a friend, a close second to that is @PA Dan who has graciously offered to help me fix my 346XP. My primary heat source for the house and domestic hot water is wood and I burn about 12-14 cords per year. I cannot afford heating oil for my 135 year old farm house and we do not have natural gas where I live. In the end though I will end up with a better saw than before so I can keep cutting. I am most excited about learning from Dan, watching what he does, being taught how to see and hear chainsaws. Once we are all done I will pass the knowledge on to my sons first and then to anyone that wants to learn or needs there stuff fixed.

So, yeah, hang out and let the thread marinate while we work this thing out. I will post updates as we move along.

Right now the holy grail for me is a old Stihl 026 that I borrowed from a friend, a close second to that is @PA Dan who has graciously offered to help me fix my 346XP. My primary heat source for the house and domestic hot water is wood and I burn about 12-14 cords per year. I cannot afford heating oil for my 135 year old farm house and we do not have natural gas where I live. In the end though I will end up with a better saw than before so I can keep cutting. I am most excited about learning from Dan, watching what he does, being taught how to see and hear chainsaws. Once we are all done I will pass the knowledge on to my sons first and then to anyone that wants to learn or needs there stuff fixed.

So, yeah, hang out and let the thread marinate while we work this thing out. I will post updates as we move along.

Do I recall correctly that you have had only one saw? If so, the fact that you burn 12-14 cords/yr is interesting. Do you have a woodlot? Or have logs delivered? What size logs do you deal with? That amount of wood isn't heroic but it's quite a bit. I can't imagine having only one saw doing all that, stuff happens. But I deal with a lot of larger oaks and they can provide challenges and oops moments.

Do I recall correctly that you have had only one saw? If so, the fact that you burn 12-14 cords/yr is interesting. Do you have a woodlot? Or have logs delivered? What size logs do you deal with? That amount of wood isn't heroic but it's quite a bit. I can't imagine having only one saw doing all that, stuff happens. But I deal with a lot of larger oaks and they can provide challenges and oops moments.
Right now one saw that we are fixing...but when I bought the 346XP I was told to sell all my saws because the 346 was so perfect it would never go down...lol. I get most of the wood by myself from the woods, I'm a maniac and I cut like I've never cut before. Normally I have all of my wood by September 13th or 17th and never cut in the fall/winter. If you want to imagine one saw living send me all but one of your saws, I'll pay shipping.

Right now one saw that we are fixing...but when I bought the 346XP I was told to sell all my saws because the 346 was so perfect it would never go down...lol. I get most of the wood by myself from the woods, I'm a maniac and I cut like I've never cut before. Normally I have all of my wood by September 13th or 17th and never cut in the fall/winter. If you want to imagine one saw living send me all but one of your saws, I'll pay shipping.

With 'just' a 346, how big are the logs you deal with?

With 'just' a 346, how big are the logs you deal with?
Interested to know as well but IIRC he said he has had the 346 for 11 years so if he has cut 12-14 cords a year for 11 years with it I would say that's a testament to how well the saw was built and shows how long it can last given it is tuned properly.

Interested to know as well but IIRC he said he has had the 346 for 11 years so if he has cut 12-14 cords a year for 11 years with it I would say that's a testament to how well the saw was built and shows how long it can last given it is tuned properly.
Yep, one saw, one man and all I did for those 11 years was change fuel filter and plug...once. I run a 16" bar and for the big suff I run a 16" bar, twice.

I got here similarly to you, needed help with my "husky" 142, then I found out is was just a poulan in an orange wrapper :rare2: . That being said it did a lot of cutting for the 150 I paid for it. Once I found out it wasn't a "real" husky, I was quick to find a 346xp ne, what a game changer. But as many have said, how can someone only have one saw, that's just not right lol.
I also vowed to do what I could to help others once I had received help here, and I've been doing it for quite a while now :).

I likely can't fix my 346XP in a timely manner...low compression at 90, put a new ring and still 9, so I guess I need a P/C, not sure what to do yet. I have not kept up with the new saws so no clue what to buy to replace my 346XP. I am hoping that a new P/C will fix me up, but I just don't know. I'm just a farmer with a wood burner, but need a saw that works.
Thanks
Zeek
I am a Farmer also with a wood furnace, I just bought the 562XP and I Love it, and also a T435 arborist saw this one has become my favorite you can use it one handed if you want for limbing out your felled trees. I only use the 562XP for the big stuff now.

I use my 346XP for felling, limbing, bucking and climbing....I am sure some of you will get all geeked out by that but the reallity is we all do the best we can with what we have and can afford. For those of you that think one saw isn't enough I get that, but why do you need 8 saws, or 12? I figure you can spare one, so PM me and I'll give my address and Venmo you the shipping, that way I'll have 2 good saws. But serious;y, the prepper in me is aware that one is none, two is one and three is a guarantee. Since I try to have all wood cut and ready well befre it is needed that gives me time if something goes wrong.

Thanks to all who have waded in to this thread...11 pages worth!

Back